4 killed in Yobe attack, police say

The Yobe state Commissioner of Police, Patrick Egbuniwe, said that four persons were killed during the attack by gunmen in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital on Tuesday.

Mr. Egbuniwe, in an update provided to Premium Times, stated that two of the four were the attackers, while the other two were civilians.

“There were attacks on a police and military posts by suspected gunmen, where two civilians were killed in the Sabon Pegi ward and the Federal Polytechnic staff quarters,” he said.

The police boss also said that although the combined efforts of security agencies succeeded in repelling the attacks, the gunmen torched a classroom block at the state polytechnic before fleeing the area.

A resident of the area, Salisu Tahir, informed Premium Times that the gunmen specifically targeted the polytechnic.He added that the gunmen had earlier sent warning letters to the polytechnic for the bombing of the school.

Mr. Egbuniwe however said that the gunmen only torched the building as a ploy to distract the security agencies pursuing them.

“They were just retreating and decided to burn the class because anytime you are chasing them, they will just burn what they see around in order to distract you,” he added.

Mr. Tahir informed us that the two civilians killed were security guards at the Polytechnic staff quarters.

 

 

 


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.