An early morning, fire over the weekend destroyed multi-million naira worth of medical equipment in the radiology department of the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
PREMIUM TIMES gathered that the fire occurred at about 3.00 a.m on Sunday, following an electrical fault from one of the air conditioners in the hospital.
Witnesses say the fire caused a pandemonium among staff who were on the night shift but that no person was harmed.
A staff of the health institution who spoke with our correspondent disclosed that some X-ray machines were torched as well as other valuable medical apparatus.
“The place got burnt around 3 a.m today. The fire started burning inside the radiology department due to technical fault of the air conditioner. The AC probably overworked and a spark from it led to the fire which affected the whole x-ray building, including HOD Radiology Office,” the staffer explained.
Fire fighters who later raced to the scene spent over two hours before the fire could be brought under control.