Three days after the midnight attack on Dangulbi, Sabuwar Kasuwa, Guru and Biya villages of Maru Local Government Area in Zamfara, people have continued to flee the area in fear.
A group of bandits attacked the villages on Monday, killing 26 people, including women and children and left many critically injured.
The incident has caused a panic among residents leading to the exodus for fear that they may be attacked again.
One of the survivors of the Monday attack, Lawali Hassan, said in Gusau on Wednesday that many who survived the incident had fled for safety to Maru community or Gusau.
“Anyone of us who would recall that ungodly incident will never wish to remain in those villages because of the level of insecurity and fear that these bandits could attack us any time,” he said.
He said that he survived the attack by the whiskers and had since taken refuge in Gusau.
“When I was fleeing the village yesterday [Tuesday], I saw several other families leaving the area for a safer environment,” Hassan said.
He also said there were few mobile policemen and military personnel patrolling the area.
However, the Police Public Relations Officer in Zamfara, Haruna Abdulmalik, said the Dangulbi area has been under adequate police and military joint surveillance.
He said that the command is working hard to bring the bandits to justice and make the area safe for normal businesses.
Mr. Abdulmalik also said no arrest had so far been made in connection with the incident.