The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) says it has suspended its proposed strike over Chevron Nigeria Limited’s plan to lay off 600 workers at the Agbami Offshore Oilfield in Bayelsa.
Lumumba Okugbawa, General-Secretary of PENGASSAN made this known to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Yenagoa.
Mr Okugbawa told NAN that the strike had been put on hold following a truce with the company’s management on April 15.
According to him, the leadership of PENGASSAN and the management of CNL reached an agreement over the matter, making the proposed strike unnecessary.
Mr Okugbawa said that the mediatory meeting by Timipre Sylva, Minister of State for Petroleum, with the leadership of the union scheduled for April 15 could not also hold because a truce had reached.
PENGASSAN had threatened to down tools and shut down Agbami Offshore Oilfield over moves by Chevron to cut its workforce by 25 per cent.
The plan to lay off 600 workers was announced in a statement, on October 2, 2020 by Esimaje Brikinn, CNL’s General Manager Policy, Government and Public Affairs.
Mr Brikinn said the job cut was to reposition the oil firm for greater efficiency and competitiveness.
Agbami field, which has the capacity to produce 250,000 barrels per day (bpd), currently produces about 140,000 bpd according to industry data. (NAN)
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...