Presidency says protest over insecurity planned to embarrass Buhari

PIC.1. FROM LEFT: CHIEF OF THE AIR STAFF, AIR-MARSHAL SADIQUE ABUBARKAR;
PIC.1. FROM LEFT: CHIEF OF THE AIR STAFF, AIR-MARSHAL SADIQUE ABUBARKAR; CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF, GEN. ABAYOMI GABRIEL OLONISAKIN; VICE PRESIDENT YEMI OSINBAJO; PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI; CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF, LT-GEN. TUKUR BURATAI AND CHIEF OF NAVAL STAFF, VICE-ADMIRAL IBOK ETE EKWE IBAS, AT THE DECORATION OF SERVICE CHIEFS AT THE PRESIDENTIAL VILLA IN ABUJA ON THURSDAY (13/8/15). 5926/13/8/2015/ICE/CH/NAN

This is a press statement released by Garba Shehu, President Muhammadu Buhari’s spokesperson, accusing the PDP of planning a protest for the removal of service chiefs over poor security on the country. It says the effort is to embarrass Mr Buhari.

“The Presidency wishes to caution a section of the political class against misleading the public and inciting protests against the heads of military institutions.

This has become necessary in view of received reports that about two thousand men and women have been hired to demonstrate against Nigeria’s service chiefs on Monday.

This imminent gathering is the latest in a series of demonstrations orchestrated by the opposition to embarrass the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.

As part of this overall scheme, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, with its belligerent politics, has been marching from one embassy to the other in protest against the Buhari administration and the nation’s highest court of justice, the Supreme Court.

They are keen to give the impression that Nigerians are in support of them as they take to the streets, and they will go to any length to promote this false narrative.

The recent incident in Maiduguri, Borno State, where an overwhelmingly cheering crowd gathered to welcome President Buhari, while a handful were recorded booing him, is a part this elaborate scheme. It is misleading, as some analysts have tried to do, to read this as verdict against President Buhari, who emerged winner with 94 per cent of the votes cast in the Presidential election in the state in February last year.

READ ALSO: Buhari blames Borno leaders for unending Boko Haram attacks

This was clearly a hired few, but the news was promoted by the opposition who had of course positioned themselves to record the booing – all just to embarrass the President.

We urge the media to remain unbiased and discerning in their reporting, instead of becoming unwitting tools in the hands of the opposition.

A group of politicians and beneficiaries of the Boko Haram insurgency is right now paying for people to join their planned protest against our country’s service chiefs, and they will no doubt seek the media’s collaboration on this as usual.

But there is news and there is promoted content – two very different things, one of which should never make the headlines as these recent fake protests have done.”


Coronavirus factsheet


Advertisement

PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...



BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.