President Muhammadu Buhari has nominated a retired major general, Paul Tarfa, as the chairman of the North-East Development Commission for confirmation by the senate.
He also nominated Mohammed Alkali as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the commission and nine others as members of the board of the commission.
The nomination was contained in a letter addressed to the senate president, Bukola Saraki, requesting confirmation of the nominees – which he (Mr Saraki) read out in plenary on Wednesday.
The Senate had in October 2016, passed the bill seeking the establishment of North East Development Commission to rebuild the insurgency-ravaged North East region of Nigeria.
Mr Buhari assented to the bill in October, 2017.
Those nominated by the president are:
1. Major General Paul Tarfa (Rtd) – Chairman
2. Mohammed Goni Alkali – MD/CEO
3. Musa Uma Yashi – ED humanitarian affairs
4. Mohammed Jawa B. – Executive Director, Admin and Finance
5. Umar Maiwada Mohammed – Executive Director, Operations
6. Hon. David Sabo Kente – Member representing North East zone
7. Asamo M. Mohammed – Member representing North West zone
8. Benjamin Adeniyi – Member representing Central zone
9. Olawale Osun – Member representing South West zone
10. Theo Nkechi – Member representing South East
11. Bassey Uke – Member representing South South zone
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...