Edwin Clark has received an apology from the police after an “unauthorised” raid on his home by officers.
Police spokesperson Jimoh Moshood said Inspector-General Ibrahim Idris has sent a delegation of senior police officers to apologise to the elder statesman over the development.
The four officers who carried out the controversial raid are also said to be undergoing disciplinary measures; while an informant who was involved would be paraded on Wednesday, police said.
The statement comes hours after Mr Idris distanced himself from the raid, saying no proper approval was granted prior to it amidst nationwide uproar.
The raid was conducted on the home of Mr Clark in Asokoro, an exquisite neighbourhood of the elite east of Abuja city centre.
The officers were reportedly said to be on a hunt for guns and other ammunition following a tip-off that the nonagenarian was stockpiling them. The search reportedly yielded no discovery of unauthorised arms or other illicit items.
Mr Clark, 91, who held different public office positions before retiring into activities relating to Niger-Delta advocacy, condemned the raid and said he would not be deterred from further expressing his misgivings about President Muhammadu Buhari, who he had never supported.
Other rights groups have also spoken out in support of Mr Clark, including senior lawyer and rights activist, Mike Ozekhome, who warned against a descent into fascism.
Following the “unauthorised, illegal and unprofessional,” invasion, Mr Idris sent Joshak Habila, the deputy inspector-general in charge of operations, with some commissioners to apologise to Mr Clark at home, Mr Moshood said in the statement shortly before 1.00 a.m. Wednesday.
The officials apologised “on behalf of the Nigeria Police Force and the IGP for the misconducts of the said police personnel and the attendant embarrassment the search has caused on the elder statesman and his family,” police said.
Mr Moshood said Mr Clark had accepted the apology, indicating that the chief’s earlier demand for an open apology from the police had been met.
Mr Idris also directed that while the four officers are being held in custody where they are facing disciplinary procedures, the informant would be paraded on September 5 before “the press and the public before his prompt arraignment and prosecution in court,” the police said.