Ekiti: DIG denies authorising use of force, says ‘mistake’ won’t reoccur

A photograph showing Ekiti State Governor, Chief Ayodele Fayose on the ground after he was attacked with tear gas and beaten by security operatives
A photograph showing Ekiti State Governor, Chief Ayodele Fayose on the ground after he was attacked with tear gas and beaten by security operatives

The Police have dismantled the barricades they mounted at the entrance to the Ekiti State Government House in Ado-Ekiti.

Security agents who took over the premises and allegedly fired teargas at Governor Ayodele Fayose have also been withdrawn.

The teargas allegedly left Mr Fayose unconscious for about five minutes before he was resuscitated by party supporters and taken to the Government House Clinic.

With a collar around his neck after the incident, the governor told journalists the police wanted to harm him, saying Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris should be held responsible should anything happen to him.

A police team led by the Commissioner of Police in charge of Mobile Police (MOPOL) unit, Eche Eche, allegedly blocked the road between Fajuyi Park and Government House, preventing members of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from holding a rally.

The police also occupied the State pavilion, the campaign base of the candidate of the PDP, Kolapo Olusola-Eleka, and dispersed party supporters who were preparing for what was called a victory rally.

But reacting to Mr Fayose’s allegation against the police, the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (Operations), Habilal Joshak, in a television interview denied he ordered his officers to use teargas on the crowd.

“What I said was that those massing for the rally should be asked to leave because it is not good going by the mood of the state now to hold rally or street procession.

“I didn’t say they should use force. This is an election and electioneering is a civil matter anywhere across the globe, so police as security agents can’t use force on the people. But I want to assure the good people of Ekiti State that such mistake will never repeat itself,” Mr Joshak stated.

A visit to the entrance to the government house on Thursday by our reporter showed there were no longer restrictions of movement.

In another development, spokesperson of Governor Fayose, Lere Olayinka , said his boss had been discharged from the hospital and was stabilising.

“The governor is now better and stabilising fast. He is out of the hospital and I believe he will get well soon,” he said.


PT Mag Campaign AD

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...

BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application