The anti-graft agency, EFCC, on Monday concluded its prosecution of Raymond Dokpesi after calling 14 witnesses.
Mr Dokpesi, founder of Daar Communications, however, told the Federal High Court in Abuja that he would be making a no-case-submission to wrap up his trial.
The owner of Nigeria’s first private radio station is facing trial for the alleged diversion of N2.1 billion received from the office of former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki.
His lawyer, Kanu Agabi, made the application at the court on Monday.
The application followed the closing of the case by the prosecutor, the EFCC.
According to Mr Kanu, his client believes that the evidences so far adduced is not sufficient to indict the defendant.
Earlier on Monday, a witness brought in by the prosecution corroborated previous claims of financial diversions into accounts belonging to Daar communications from the office of the former NSA.
The witness, Usman Aliyu, also told the court that part of the fund, N68 million, was used for the construction of Mr Dokpesi’s country home in Edo State.
According to the witness’s statement, N500 million of the said amount was transferred from the account of NSA domiciled in Central Bank of Nigeria to the account of DAAR communications in January 22, 2015.
The witness also said the funds were transferred in various instalments of N500 million, N620 million, N113million, among others.
However the witness during the cross examination by Mr Agabi said that he was brought into the matter this year.
He added that his statement on the investigation was made at the commission on May 24.
The case was adjourned to October 10 for adoption of address.
Mr Dokpesi, who denies the allegations against him, has also accused the federal government of defamation of character.