Why I withdrew my suit against EFCC — Innoson CEO Innocent Chukwuma

Dr. Innocent Ifediaso Chukwuma, Chairman of Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing (IVM) Innoson Group. [Photo credit: YouTube]
Dr. Innocent Ifediaso Chukwuma, Chairman of Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing (IVM) Innoson Group. [Photo credit: YouTube]

The CEO of Innoson Group said in a statement Monday that he withdrew his fundamental rights enforcement lawsuit against the anti-graft EFCC after he learnt that the GTBank had allegedly compromised the process.

Innocent Chukwuma, against whom the EFCC slammed a four-count of fraud last month, said an ex-parte application he filed before a Lagos court was summarily taken over by GTBank before it was determined.

“GTBank became aware of the pendency of the suit, got all the copies of the processed filed in the suit, then filed a counter affidavit and on December 21 and got it assigned to a complaint judge,” according to the statement signed by Cornel Osigwe, corporate communications lead at Innoson.

Mr. Chukwuma filed the ex-parte motion on December 20 to compel the EFCC to respect his fundamental rights, a day after he was arrested by anti-graft operatives at his residence in Enugu.

He said even though GTBank was not joined in the suit, the bank allegedly sent its legal representatives to pry on the court process filed by Mr. Chukwuma’s lawyers.

Mr. Osigwe said the attention of the Acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court had been drawn to the matter for a thorough investigation.

A spokesperson for GTBank could not be reached for comments Monday morning.

On November 30, the EFCC slammed fraud charges on Mr. Chukwuma, the industrialist owner of the indigenous auto manufacturer, Innoson Motors.

The allegations border on attempted fraud, stealing, and forgery of shipping and financial documents.

His arrest followed his failure to honour an invitation from the EFCC, the agency said.

Mr. Chukwuma, however, denied receiving any invitation for questioning. He challenged the EFCC to produce evidence of any invitation sent to him before the public.

The industrialist was released in the evening of December 20, but his trial is expected to commence soon, although no date has been fixed yet.

NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.