Nigeria approves construction of 3,050MW Mambilla electricity project at $5.7 billion

Mambilla Power Project
Photo: Nigeria Electricity Hub
Mambilla Power Project Photo: Nigeria Electricity Hub

The Federal Executive Council, FEC, presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari, approved $5.792 billion (about N1.140 trillion) for the construction of the 3,050 megawatts Mambilla Hydro-Power project at Gembu in Taraba.

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, disclosed this while addressing State House correspondents alongside the ministers of labour and employment as well as the minister of sports, on the outcome of the Council’s meeting.

“The memorandum from the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing was to the award of the Mambilla Hydro-Power plant. I believe that many of you have heard of this project.

“Nigeria started talking about it since 1972; that is about 45 years ago.

“Several efforts had been made to bring it to reality but I’m happy to announce that this government approved the contract today to joint ventures of Chinese Civil and Engineering company for the engineering and turn-key contract, including civil and electro-mechanical works for $5.792 billion.

“The construction should take about 72 months (6 years),” he said.

According to him, the scope of works of the project will include the construction of four dams and 700 kilometres of transmission lines.

The minister said the project, when completed, would boost the nation’s economy as it would unleash the potential that had been reported about Mambilla in the fields of agriculture, tourism and energy.

“It will also help Nigeria strike a very big blow on the climate change issue and fulfil its commitment under the Paris Agreement, because this is going to be renewable energy, coming also at a relatively competitive cost.

Mr. Fashola said the project would be jointly financed by the federal government and the China Export Import, EXIM, Bank.

EXIM bank will provide 85 per cent of the cost while the federal government would provide 15 per cent.

The Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, told the correspondents that he presented to the council, the AfroBasket women champions, who after 12 years, won the championship in Mali on Sunday.

“When they were presented to the ministry yesterday, we sought the approval of Mr. President which he graciously approved to receive them today and indeed they were received in council and having emerged as champions, they are qualified for the competition in Spain in 2018.”

“Although we have athletes who had competed in other sports and had won laurels for the country, we felt it was economical to present the basketball team which was handy on ground in view of the fact that if you look at the component of players, they were mixed with national players and foreign based.

“So, we got the opportunity handy and had received them and for those we have not been able to do, we will still do it at the appropriate time, knowing too well that this government is always committed to receiving and honouring our athletes whenever they make the country proud,” he said.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, explained that the council approved Boiler and Pressure Vessel Regulation to ensure industrial safety in the country.

He said the approval was in line with international best practices to safeguard lives and property in the industrial sector of the nation’s economy.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:DIABETES Is CURABLE! Don't Let It Threaten You! To NORMALIZE Your Blood Sugar In 21Days For Life, Click Here!!!.


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • El Patron

    This article is on vanguard verbatim. I wonder who copied who. I’ll give PT the benefit of doubt, they seem more credible

  • TDaniels2

    Nigeria needs overhaul! What a shame waking up 45 years after? Well better to wake up than never to!

  • IamnobleHenry

    #SCAM_ALERT! THIS IS A SCAM BY NIGERIA LEADERS. STOP DECEIVING YOUR FOLLOWERS. IT IS VERY BAD.

  • Gbola

    WHERE DEM – AWON DA ??
    ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

    .

    In 45 years, no government was able to accomplish this task.
    But in 2 years Buhari has signed the contract and this project is scheduled to be completed in 6 years.

    Sai baba !!

    And this is a task initiated at a time when we are earning about $50 per barrel of crude oh.
    Some shoeless president who earned upwards of$150 per barrel of crude during his reign couldn’t even attempt thinking about this sort of project.

    Meanwhile there’s also the N-Power oh.

    And some MORONS would ask what this govt has done OR is doing.
    Apparently they are expecting miracles​ immediately GEJ and his lootocratic goat-and-yam government was ousted.

    Awon eleri’bu jati-jati.

    Sai baba !!!!!

  • Pluti

    A country of more than 180 million in need of rapid development, that’s the best that could be presented at the FEC meeting! This administration’s cabinets needs serious kickout and knockout

  • Okokondem

    “Nigeria started talking about it
    since 1972; that is about 45 years ago. Several efforts had been made to bring it to reality but I’m happy to announce that this government approved the contract today to joint ventures of Chinese Civil and Engineering company for the engineering and turn-key contract, including civil and electro-mechanical works for $5.792 billion.”

    What Nigerians need to know is whether the acclaimed efforts that started in 1972 did at any time involve similar or otherwise TURN-KEY contracts during successive Nigerian governments over the years, and if so, what happened to the funds allocated to such contacts.

    We already know such contacts produced no results if after 45 years the country of 180 million population is still unable to produce 3,000 megawatts of electricity. I’m certain this is not the first time the government has dangled a similar electricity project and again since we still don’t have electricity, what happened to those budgetary allocations over these years? I’m no expert in this field but $5.7 billion dollars seems like an awful lot of money for just 3,000 megawatts of electricity.

    For the purposes of perspective I did a Google search for the following :

    1. SOUTH AFRICA
    Power Generation: 37,745 MW
    Population: 55.91m (2016)

    2. EGYPT
    Power Generation: 24,700 MW
    Population: 95.69m (2016)

    3. BRAZIL
    Power Generation: Has 137 GW
    of installed capacity.
    1 GW = 1000 MW of electricity.
    Population: 201 million (2016)

    4. GHANA
    Power Generation: 4490 MW
    Population: 28.21m (2016)

    5. ETHIOPIA
    Power Generation: 4267 MW
    Population: 102 million

    6. NIGERIA
    Power Generation: 2662 MW
    according to a Premium Times
    report of January 22, 2017.
    Population: 186 million (2016)

    Looking at these aggregates, and the fact that Nigeria is about to spend nearly $6 billion for a mare 3,000 MW that leaves her still far behind in terms of the ratio of power output to population, increases the demand to account for every dollar appropriated for electricity during the 45 year period starting from 1972.