Fire completely destroys Plateau polytechnic female hostel

Plateau State Polytechnic (PlaPoly)
Plateau State Polytechnic (PlaPoly)

The female hostel in the Jos campus of the Plateau State Polytechnic was on Monday completely burnt down by fire.

The fire, which started around 8.30 a.m., raged on till 11.44, throwing the entire school into confusion as students and staffers scurried to safety with some bold students making frantic but fruitless efforts to quench the inferno.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), however, reports that no life was lost in the fire that gutted everything in the hostel.

“Many students had left for lectures when the fire started; no one was around to remove anything from the burning hostel,” Yusuf Ade, a security man, told NAN.

NAN also reports that the fire service personnel arrived the scene around 11.20 when the hostel had been brought down.

Dauda Gyemang, the rector of the institution, who described the incident as “shocking”, attributed it to a gas explosion which occurred “at about 8.30 a.m.”

“We thank God that no life was lost in the inferno, but nothing was rescued,” he said.

Mr. Gyemang said the incident was “a great loss” to the institution.

“We shall move the students to another place because the building is completely burnt down. It is very devastating,” he said.

The rector wondered why the students were keeping cooking gas in the hostel, saying it was against the school’s regulations.

“The problem here is that students do not adhere to the institution’s regulations; they are not supposed to be cooking in the hostels,” he fumed.

Mr. Gyemang said the burnt building would be rehabilitated “in no distant time”, and urged the students to remain calm.

The hostel’s representative, Christiana Azi, told NAN that students lost everything “including original copies of their credentials, clothes, food stuffs and other valuables”.

“The incident is shocking and devastating. It will be very difficult to recover from it,” she said.



Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:DIABETES Is CURABLE! Don't Let It Threaten You! To NORMALIZE Your Blood Sugar In 21Days For Life, Click Here!!!.

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.

  • Dan

    Premium times and NAN should please verify the source of their story before going public. I was at the scene of the fire incident around 9:15am and three fire service trucks where already there battling the fire. In fact, one went back to refill its tank and came back soon after to continue fighting the inferno. The use of gas cookers by students made the task of combating the fire difficult but by 11am, everything was was over. Let us give credit when deserved. The fire men response time was good though could have been better.
    Secondly,the situation could have been arrested earlier if the institution had their own fire truck, even if just a small one before the big ones arrive the scene.
    I pray the school management and relevant government agencies quickly come to the aid of this students.

    • Oskirin

      was d hostel insured against d risk of fire? if yes, call ur insurer and if not,d school mgt shd b questioned coz u can’t leave av such building without adequate fire insurance.or may b d money was released and it went d oda way round.

  • xandril

    Make use of contego fire protection today and save yourself from this devastation. Call today and we would be at your service. 08036364341