Parents of the kidnapped students of Lagos Model School, Epe, on Tuesday lamented the inability of the government to rescue their wards from kidnappers’ den.
The parents who said the kidnappers were no longer contacting the family.
Speaking to PREMIUM TIMES Tuesday morning, one of the parents disclosed that for many days now, the line of communication between them and the kids had been severed.
The parent, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they used to speak with the kidnappers, but that the phone numbers they used had been switched off for several days.
The abductors are believed to be hiding somewhere in the creeks between Lagos and Ogun states.
On Monday, the Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) in charge of Zone 2, comprising of Lagos and Ogun States Police Commands, Adamu Ibrahim, said the kids would soon regain their freedom.
“In fact very soon, you will hear good news on the issue. We are working seriously on it,” the AIG said.
“At this stage, I will not want to disclose too much because these are security issues but all I want to say is that people should give us a chance and very soon, they will hear good news,” he added.
But another parent, a mother, who also spoke to PREMIUM TIMES Tuesday morning, said she was not impressed by the AIG’s statement.
“For the AIG, I don’t know where he heard the news,” she said.
“He didn’t tell us anything, we have never even seen him, he has never spoken with us.
“He is just trying to boost his own ego. I don’t know anything about that,” she said.
The parents, some of whom had earlier declined to comment on the issue for several days, said ,they had nothing to offer beyond prayers.
“We are not even happy at all because we don’t want to hear anything,” said one of the mothers.
“That’s the situation. If you’ve been hearing of kidnapping you will know its a terrible thing,” she told PREMIUM TIMES.
When PREMIUM TIMES contacted the spokesperson of the Lagos Police Command, Olarinde Famous-Cole, he said there was no update yet on the case.
“If anything comes up, we would let you know,” he said.
On June 7, the parents stormed the Lagos State Secretariat at Alausa, Lagos, demanding the government’s intervention in the release of their kids.
They were, however, assured of the government’s efforts at ensuring the release of the kids.
The six students were kidnapped in May.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...