1. “As I depart Abuja for Germany on an official visit, I welcome the release of 21 of our Chibok Girls, following successful negotiations. The Department of State Services (DSS) has briefed me on the matter, and will continue to provide updates.” —- President Muhammadu Buhari
2. “Please note that this is not a swap. It is a release, the product of painstaking negotiations and trust on both sides,” —- Nigeria’s Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed
3. “The release of 21 of the kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls by the armed group Boko Haram is a big relief. However, it is vital now that they receive adequate physical and psychosocial counseling and support so that they can fully reintegrate in their communities.” — Amnesty International
4. “The good news of the girls’ return should serve as a beacon of hope not only for families of the 197 girls still missing, but also for hundreds of other women and children, including 300 Damasak school children, abducted by Boko Haram.” —- Human Rights Watch
5. “I can only weep, right now. You know that kind of cry that is a mix of multiple emotions. Lord. Some of our girls are back. It is 4 am in California, and I can no longer sleep. Join me in singing the words of Psalm126….When the Lord turned again the captivity…. Thank you, Lord. Thank you, President Muhammadu Buhari.” —– Obi Ezekwesili, a former minister of Education in Nigeria and a leader of #BringBackOurGirls campaign
6. “This wonderful development confirms what we have always known about the capacity of our government to rescue our #ChibokGirls. We further urge the international community to continue to support our government’s effort to rescue all other abducted Nigerians, so that parents, the Chibok community, the nation, and the world can finally put an end to this nightmare once and for all,” —- #BringBackOurGirls campaign
7 “We join all Nigerians to rejoice on the return of our daughters. Our thoughts and prayers remain with the families of those who have returned, and those girls who remain in the hands of the terrorists. It is our hope that the release of more of the girls is imminent and that our nation remains vigilant in the face of the continued crisis in North East Nigeria.” — Nigeria’s Senate President, Bukola Saraki
8. “Dawn, dusk, almost a 1000 days. Twenty-one of our girls are back. It is my joy to welcome you home. The nation has been waiting for you.” —- Nigeria’s Vice President Yemi Osinbajo
9. “My emotions are all over the place – 21 of abducted Chibok girls released. I am dancing with joy! What incredible news to wake up to! We will keep our voices up till they are all back.” —- Isha Sesay, CNN anchor and correspondent
10. “The release of 21 Chibok girls is a breakthrough. Whatever means was used to release them isn’t as important as the fact that they are free.” —- Reno Omokri, pastor and social commentator
11. “I am incredibly happy at this news. A lesson (that) hope always wins. (Our) Prayers (is) for the release of the remaining #ChibokGirls.” —- Former vice president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar
12. “If any Nigerian or members of the international community had doubts about the sincerity and commitment of President Muhammadu Buhari to the rescue of our precious daughters abducted by Boko Haram insurgents at Government Secondary School, Chibok on April 14, 2014, the rescue of all other abducted Nigerians and very importantly, his sincerity in working towards ending the Boko Haram insurgency, such doubts must by now be laid to rest.” —- Governor Kashin Shettima of Borno State
13. “The release of 21 Chibok young women from the grips of the terrorist group Boko Haram into the custody of the state services department is bittersweet news. The negotiations – brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government – have resulted in the greatest breakthrough since the beginning of this ordeal. However, I join the rest of my colleagues in wanting to see the release of the remaining 197 girls who remain in captivity and are still enduring systematic abuse, rape, and forced labor at the hands of these militants.” —- Karen Bass, United States Congress member and Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Africa
14. “The President has, by this singular act, excited the Nigerian mass by sacrificing the universal doctrine of no negotiation with terrorists for empathy. We specially thank the President for this even as we acknowledge the efforts of other mediators in the negotiated release of the Chibok girls,”—- The Buhari Media Support Group (BMSG)
15. “I congratulate the families of these young ladies who have endured so much anxiety and pain on account of this horrendous experience. I am also grateful that these budding young stars now have the opportunity to again pursue their dreams and aspirations. I know there is road to recovery and readjustment ahead, but I am confident that the support of their families, our communities, and the assistance of our many collaborators at home, and internationally provide the tools required for this. I also congratulate and thank President Muhammadu Buhari for his steadfastness and dogged effort in ensuring the release of these girls. I salute our gallant men and women in uniform who continue to make sacrifices on our behalf and have remained focused in the hot pursuit of the terrorists. I commend all Federal Government agencies- the DSS, the NIA- and indeed our lawmakers and our other partners who remained dogged and worked assiduously to secure this release,”—- Ahmed Tinubu, the leader of the All Progressive Congress (APC)
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...