The #BringBackOurGirls campaign has expressed excitement over Boko Haram’s release of 21 out of the over 200 Chibok school girls abducted by the terrorist group in 2014.
The group said, Thursday, in a press statement that they welcomed the reports of the girls’ release.
“This wonderful development confirms what we have always known about the capacity of our government to rescue our #ChibokGirls,” said the statement, signed by the group’s leaders, Aisha Yesufu and Oby Ezekwesili.
“While awaiting further details, we take this opportunity to salute the work of our security services at the front lines – the commitment, resilience and tireless efforts of our members of the Multi-national Joint Task Force and the civilian JTF.
“We also thank the International Committee of the Red Cross, the Swiss government and all negotiators involved in securing the release.
“Following this development, we trust that our government will continue to work to keep the safety, security, and well-being of the other girls a high priority.
“We further urge the international community to continue to support our government’s effort to rescue all other abducted Nigerians, so that parents, the Chibok community, the nation, and the world can finally put an end to this nightmare once and for all,” the group said.
Boko Haram kidnapped nearly 300 female students from a secondary school in Chibok on April 14, 2014, provoking international outrage.
More than 50 managed to escape on the day they were captured.
Since then, there has only been one confirmed release. In May, 19-year-old Amina Nkeki was found by the Civilian JTF.