President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the Boko Haram’s release of 21 out of the over 200 Chibok school girls the terrorist group abducted in 2014.
“As I depart Abuja for Germany on an official visit, I welcome the release of 21 of our Chibok Girls, following successful negotiations,” Mr. Buhari said on Twitter few minutes after the news broke out.
“The Department of State Services (DSS) has briefed me on the matter, and will continue to provide updates.
“Cooperation on the security & humanitarian situation in the Northeast will form a significant part of my discussions with Chancellor Merkel,” the president said.
Boko Haram kidnapped nearly 300 female students from a secondary school in Chibok on April 14, 2014, provoking international outrage.
More than 50 managed to escape on the day they were captured.
Since then, there has only been one confirmed release since then. In May, 19-year-old Amina Nkeki was found carrying by the Civilian JTF.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...