Saraki blames self, public office holders since 1999 for Nigeria’s problems

Senate president, Bukola Saraki

The president of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, on Tuesday blamed all public office holders since 1999 for the country’s current political and economic woes.

He stated this in Abuja while speaking to journalists about opening the budget of the National Assembly and the allegation of corruption made by former President Olusegun Obasanjo against the federal legislature.

Mr. Obasanjo had recently written the two chambers of the National Assembly, accusing their members of corruption, greed and impunity.

Mr. Saraki said it was inappropriate to hold one person or institution responsible for the nation’s problems.

“We have all been here since 1999 up to the recent past when things were not done right. We are all part of it. I was there, you were there; every other political office holder in different capacities was there as well.

“The response of the 8th National Assembly is that the time for collective participation for the good of all Nigerians is here with us in line with the change mantra of the present administration. We are all on the same page for things to be done differently,” he said.

The senate president said what is needed now is the cooperation, encouragement and participation of everybody in going forward rather than holding one person responsible for the woes.

Mr. Saraki repeated his earlier promise to provide the details of the N115 billion allocated to the National Assembly on a section-by-section basis.

Meanwhile, in a statement by his media aide, Yusuph Olaniyonu, the senate president condemned the recent Boko Haram attacks in Dalori, Borno State, during which several people were killed and others injured.

He lamented the attacks against women and children on the outskirts of Maiduguri, saying it was unacceptable.

“I condemn in totality this barbaric attack on mostly women and children in Dalori village. By all standards, these are defenceless and vulnerable groups. They need protection and we must ensure that they get protected.

“We have recorded tremendous gains in the war against Boko Haram and their atrocities. But the recent attacks show that more needs to be done to restore security which is needed for the current rebuilding efforts in the region to succeed.

Mr. Saraki said the incident was devastating such that Governor Kashim Shettima had already begun the process of rehabilitation and reconstruction of the north eastern state.

He pleaded with the security agencies to ensure that such attacks did not distract them from the success they had made in the fight against the dreaded sect.

He further assured, “The Senate will make further consultations with the authorities to see further areas of intervention that we can make that will assist the military so that this kind of incident will never occur again”.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.