Violent attacks killed 600 teachers, forced one million children out of school in Nigeria’s North-East — UNICEF

School Children return to school in Bazza, Adamawa state, after area was recaptured from Boko Haram.

Violence and attacks against civilian populations in the North-East of Nigeria and its neighbouring countries have forced “a staggering” one million children out of school, UNICEF says.

According to a UNICEF report on Tuesday, the violent attacks has dealt a huge blow on education in the region.

It said across Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger, over 2,000 schools remain closed, some schools for more than a year, due to the conflict.

It further said that hundreds had been attacked, looted or set on fire.

UNICEF said that in North Cameroon, only one out of the 135 schools closed in 2014 re-opened this year.

UNICEF also reported that the number of children missing out on their education due to the conflict added to the estimated 11 million children of primary school age who were already out of school in the four countries before the onset of the crisis.

In Nigeria alone, approximately 600 teachers have been killed since the start of the Boko Haram insurgency, the report said.

The UN agency said it had supported 170,000 children back into education in the safer areas of the three states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe affected by the conflict, where majority of schools had re-opened.

It added that so far, the agency had received 44 per cent of the funding required in 2015 to respond to the humanitarian needs of children in Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad.

UNICEF said in 2016, it would need nearly 23 million dollars to provide access to education for children affected by conflicts in the four countries, most of whom live around the Lake Chad region.

The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon had urged the international community to provide urgent support for humanitarian aid to communities hit by Boko Haram.

He further urged the international community to provide urgent support for humanitarian assistance and early recovery as a way to mitigate the impact on the affected populations.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


TEXT AD: This NAFDAC APPROVED Solution Will Make You Stay Longer Than 40Mins In Bed Tonight And Help Your Erection. Click Here To Read The Free Reports


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Otile

    For the most part the dead teachers have themselves to blame. There is no reasonable person in this world nowadays who does not know what boko haram means, talk less of the teachers themselves. Were they blind and deaf when Imam Qaqa and Imam Abu Shekau were eloquently televising the warning about bring up their people in western education? Did they not hear about the abduction of over 280 school girls in one fell swoop? Did they think Imam Shekau was joking or have they not heard that Musulimas do not go to school at all in Islamic Afghanistan? Before it is over more deaf teachers will be killed.

  • Aminu Yakubu

    the APC led govt of lying liars denied ISIS report in respect of the deaths recorded since May 29 2015 after Buhari was named as co-winner of the award for most influential muslim personality with Abubakir Shekau of Boko haram. Truly influential!