The siege on the home of a former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, by officials of the State Security Service, SSS, was still on, Sunday, despite a court order.
Justice Adeniyi Ademola of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Friday reacted angrily to the siege on Mr. Dasuki’s house despite an earlier ruling he gave permitting the retired colonel to travel abroad for medical treatment. “My own orders will not be flouted” the judge said on Friday, while re-iterating his stance that the former security chief be allowed to travel for medical treatment.
PREMIUM TIMES could not confirm if the SSS had been served with Friday’s court order as the Service is yet to appoint a spokesperson.
Mr. Dasuki had returned to the court to sue the Federal Government for still plotting to re-arrest him despite the earlier court order.
Justice Ademola said on Friday that “a court order must be obeyed”.
He also said there was nothing wrong in allowing Mr. Dasuki travel abroad for medical treatment, saying “only a fit person can stand for trial and investigation.”
Mr. Dasuki had approached the court last Monday asking for an order to allow him enforce his rights.
In the suit, Mr. Dasuki sought enforcement of his fundamental human rights to dignity and security of his life.
Armed security operatives have been permanently stationed at his residence, closely monitoring in-and-out movements and occasionally checking trunks of vehicles.
PREMIUM TIMES observed that on Sunday, two Trucks belonging to the SSS were parked in front of Mr. Dasuki’s house at No. 13 John Khadiya street, in Asokoro district Abuja on Sunday.
Operatives of the SSS were also seen sitting in front of the House.
Mr. Dasuki himself responded to our inquiry asking whether the SSS had left his house via text message to say “ They are yet to comply. At this moment, they are still here”.
The SSS had while reacting to initial reports of the siege on the residence of the former NSA issued a statement saying the “standoff” with Mr. Dasuki is based on a different investigation
The agency said Mr. Dasuki has refused to honour an invitation by a committee investigating arms purchase while he held sway as the NSA.
“It may be recalled that Sambo was initially arrested and charged to court for unlawful possession of firearms and money laundering, for which reason his international passport was seized and on the order of the court, returned to the registrar for custody,” the SSS said in the statement by one Tony Opuiyo.
“What has however brought the seeming standoff between Sambo and the Service, despite the court-ordered release of his international passport on 4th November, 2015, is his refusal to appear before a Committee undertaking the investigation of an entirely different case.”
But Mr. Dasuki reacted swiftly saying he was never invited to appear before the committee.
“I’m not also aware that the committee is operating from the SSS headquarters,” Mr. Dasuki told PREMIUM TIMES. “What I know is that the committee is operating from the office of the National Security Adviser. So why is the SSS the one inviting me?”
Friday’s court order was issued after the SSS statement.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...