The Nigeria Army on Saturday dismissed reports that soldiers were among casualties of Friday’s bomb attacks in Kuje and Nyanya areas of Abuja.
A statement issued in Abuja on Saturday by the spokesman of the Nigeria Army Guards Brigade, Bashir Jajira, said all the 17 casualties including the suicide bombers were civilians.
He said all the dead and injured persons in the two attacks executed by suspected Boko Haram insurgents had been taken to the Kuje General Hospital and the National hospital.
“At about 09:30 p.m. last night, two bomb blasts were recorded at Kuje, one near the Kuje Area Council Police Station and the other near the Kuje main market.
“In Nyanya three lives were lost comprising two suicide bombers and one civilian died and three civilians were injured in the bomb explosion.
“In both incidents no casualty was recorded from the military,” Mr. Jajira said.
Friday’s explosion was the first in the Nigerian capital since that of a shopping plaza -Emab – in the Wuse 2 District of the city on June 24, 2014, killing at least 21 and injuring 17 others, according to police.
But despite the huge fortification of the capital territory against attacks – through extensive roadblocks and security patrols – the terrorists sneaked in Friday, killing many.
In the first attack on Friday, the insurgents descended on Kuje, a town few kilometres from the city centre, blowing up a market and a police station.
Almost simultaneously, another bomb sounded in Nyanya, one of the most populated towns in Abuja, which had suffered similar attacks in the past.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks but security and rescue agencies believe the bombings have the imprimatur of the Boko Haram sect, which has launched similar attacks in the past.
The explosions were the first in Abuja since President Muhammadu Buhari took office in May, with a pledge to defeat Boko Haram.
The president gave the Nigerian military up to November to end the insurgency that has killed over 20000 people since 2009.