Nigerian troops advancing to clear all known camps occupied by Boko Haram terrorists around the Banki, Kumshe and Bama axis of Borno state cleared four more camps Monday, the Nigerian Army Headquarters said on Tuesday.
Spokesperson Sani Usman said the troops cleared the sect’s camps at Bolungu 1 and 2, Bula Doye and Cheehi Dare, rescuing dozens of women and children in the process and securing a very important bridge linking the towns of Miyanti and Banki in Borno State.
“The gallant troops also rescued dozen of kidnapped women and children held captive by Boko Haram terrorists,” Mr. Sani, a colonel, said. “The clearance by ground troops and aerial bombardments by the Nigerian Air Force continues till we reached the desired objective of defeating the terrorists.”
Nigerian troops, Mr. Sani said, are continuing their deep and aggressive advance into former dens of the terrorists.
The Nigerian Army had on Sunday said scores of members of Boko Haram insurgents surrendered their arms.
In a statement, Mr. Usman said the insurgents began surrendering when they realised that the ‘new strategies’ being deployed by soldiers was becoming successful.
The Army’s new offensive, tagged’ Operation Lafiya Dole’, followed the appointment of Tukur Buratai, a Lieutenant General, as the Chief of Army Staff by President Muhammadu Buhari.
PREMIUM TIMES reported how Mr. Buratai, an indigene of Borno, last week visited Gamboru, a border town between Nigeria and Cameroon, which was recently retaken from the insurgents.
The Army chief stayed the night there, fraternised with soldiers on the field, and pledged not to lose any territory to the terrorists whose insurgency has caused the death of about 20,000 people since 2009.