A reporter with Nigeria’s leading investigative newspaper, PREMIUM TIMES, has been shortlisted for the 2015 African Fact-Checking Awards.
Ben Ezeamalu, Metro Editor, and six others were shortlisted out of 51 entries from more than 15 African countries.
Mr. Ezeamalu was nominated for his report that debunked claims made about legislation on the age of sexual consent in his country.
The other nominees include Francesca Phiri and Charity Mbozi, from Muvi Television in Zambia; Josephat Kioko, from Baraka FM Radio in Kenya; Leanne Goerge, from Media24 news group (Netwerk24/Beeld) in South Africa.
The rest are Pieter-Louis Myburgh, from Media24 news group (Rapport/City Press) in South Africa; Philip de Wet, from the Mail & Guardian in South Africa; and Steven Kwetey Nartey, from TV Africa in Ghana.
The finalists were shortlisted after a “careful sifting” of the entries, Africa Check said in a statement on Wednesday.
The entries would be judged by a six-member jury of African and European journalists, and winner and runners-up would be named at a ceremony at the African Media Leader’s Forum in Johannesburg, South Africa, in November.
The African Fact-Checking Awards were launched in 2014 by Africa Fact Check and its partner, the AFP Foundation, the non-profit media training arm of the AFP news agency.
“They were created to honour the best investigative fact-checking carried out by African journalists each year,” the organizers said.
The inaugural edition of the awards, last year, were won by a team from Ghana, with runners up from Kenya and Zambia.