The Governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Geidam, has condemned Saturday’s suicide attack in Damaturu the state capital where a 10-year-old girl blew herself up at the entrance of a Sunday market.
The spokesperson of the police in the state, Toyin Gbedegesin, had earlier told reporters that 15 people lost their lives in the attack.
However, Mr. Geidam in a statement on Sunday said he has been briefed about the horrific attack “in which 19 people were killed and many others injured”.
The statement, which was signed by the governor’s spokesperson, Abdullahi Bego, described the attack as another sad day in Yobe State in which innocent people were again “the target of blood-thirsty terrorists”.
Mr. Geidam, who condemned the attack as “callous, barbaric and unjustifiable” said his thoughts and prayers are with the families of victims and those who sustained injuries.
He reiterated his call on security agencies in the state to step up surveillance. He also urged the people to remain very vigilant about happenings in their areas and report any suspicious persons or movements to the nearest security point.
“The governor has also directed hospital authorities at the Sani Abacha Specialist Hospital, Damaturu where the injured have been taken for medical attention to provide immediate and free medical attention to victims.
“His Excellency the governor has also reminded people about the need not to relent in prayers for Almighty Allah (SWT) to help restore peace and security in our State and our country,” the statement read.