How own security guard, driver killed former FUTA VC – Police

Federal University of Technology, Akure
Federal University of Technology, Akure

The body of the former Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Technology, Akure, (FUTA), Prof. Albert Ilemobade, was on Sunday found at the generator house of his Ijapo residence in Akure, the Ondo State capital, after he went missing a week ago.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Wole Ogodo, told PREMIUM TIMES that when the deceased was reported missing last Monday, the suspicion was that he was kidnapped.

“What we have now is that his security man at his house and his driver actually strangled him to death,” Mr. Ogodo said.

“We thought it was kidnapping, but throughout the period, there was no phone call and so there was no contact between anyone and the family members.”

It was gathered that the Police in Ogun State arrested two of the deceased’s domestic staff while they were trying to sell a Toyota SUV Rav4 stolen from his compound.

The suspects reportedly confessed to have murdered Prof. Ilemobade, and dumped his corpse in one of the buildings housing a power generator.

The police had gone searching his house after the confession and found the octogenarian’s decomposing body.

The State Commissioner of Police, Isaac Eke, also confirmed the incident, saying the two suspects would be transferred to Ondo State by the Ogun State Police Command.

The Vicar of the Vining Church, Dr. Ayodeji Fagbemi, who was at Mr. Ilemobade’s residence when the body was removed by the police, said the decomposing body was soaked with diesel.

While describing the incident as unfortunate, he noted that the gruesome murder was inexplicable.

According to Mr. Fagbemi, the  two suspects were the former VC’s driver and security guard, identifying them as Yemi and Daniel respectively.

Speaking of his last moments with the former VC, the cleric said, “We were together last Sunday at the Church and we celebrated together this year ‘s Fathers’ day where he donated his quota to the church. He personally passed his cheque to me .

“I was surprised when the news of his abduction reached me last Monday and we have been praying along with the family believing that his abductors would soon get in touch  with the family only to be informed today that his decomposed body was found in the store.

“We have lost a very great scholar and it is just too wicked for a man of his calibre to have been killed this way. It is a terrible thing and I believe those behind this killing will be brought to book.”

NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.