Humanitarian crisis in Ekiti as NEMA grapples with feeding 2000 displaced persons

Ayodele Fayose, Ekiti state governor elect

The Shasha camp for the over 2000 displaced members of the Hausa community in Ekiti State is gradually degenerating into a severe humanitarian crisis.

It was gathered that the figure of displaced persons at Sasha had reached 2000 and their living conditions were worsening.

In a bid to reduce the sufferings of the internally displaced persons (IDPS) the National Emergency Management Agency has moved to the camp to start providing food for them.

Shasha became the new home of the Hausa in the Ekiti state capital after they were evacuated to the site after the conflict between them and the commercial drivers in Ado-Ekiti worsened on Friday.

A statement from the NEMA office in Ado-Ekiti on Monday said relief materials had been distributed to the displaced traders.

The statement, which was signed by an official of the agency, Saheed Akiode, also said the materials were distributed directly, with the assistance of the Chairman of the Hausa Community, Adamu Imam.

“The NEMA Ekiti Operations Office moved swiftly to assess the situation on Friday and immediately came to the rescue of the displaced persons being camped at Shasha market by providing them with beddings, household materials, food stuffs, and toiletries, sanitary and other forms of requisite logistical support to make the camp habitable.

“Since the beginning of the rehabilitation support at the camp, NEMA officials have been on ground from Friday 22nd May, 2015 providing three square meals to the displaced persons including women and children,” the statement said.

The statement reported Mr. Imam as expressing gratitude to NEMA for responding quickly to the basic needs of the displaced persons.

The emergency agency called on the IDPS to be calm, saying the Federal Government is determined to improve their living conditions at the camp.

The camp at Sasha opened on Friday as fears of another attack on the community heightened following the burning of over 50 shops at the Oba-Oja(King’s Market) in Ado-Ekiti.

Governor Ayo Fayose had declared that the displaced persons would remain at the camp until peace returns fully to the state.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.