Nigeria ​denies recalling envoys from South Africa

Reuben Abati

The ​Nigeria​​n government ​has denied recalling its envoy​s​ from South Africa following the xenophobic attacks on foreign citizens in the country.

Briefing journalists at the State House Abuja on Monday, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Reuben Abati, said what was in the public domain was a mix up and misinformation on the matter.

In a statement on Saturday by the Foreign Affairs Ministry, the Min​i​ster of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Aminu Wali, said the envoys had been summoned for consultation.

The statement had read, “The Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Aminu Wali, has summoned for consultation, Nigeria’s senior diplomats on tour of duty in South Africa. These are the Acting High Commissioner in Pretoria, Ambassador Martin Cobham, and the Deputy High Commissioner in Johannesburg, Ambassador Uche Ajulu-Okeke.

“The invitation is in connection with the ongoing xenophobia in South Africa targeting foreigners, mainly African migrants. It will be recalled that the current spate of attacks began about three weeks ago, and have so far claimed some seven lives, destruction of property and created fear and uncertainty in the minds of African migrants in the former apartheid enclave.

“The South African President, Jacob Zuma, has condemned the attacks in a statement presented to the South African National Assembly. Ditto for the Zulu Monarch, Goodwill Zwelithini, whose alleged inciting comment provoked the attacks. Well-meaning South Africans have also organised peace marches against xenophobia.”

The South African government has since criticised Nigeria’s decision on the withdrawal of its envoys.

However, Mr. Abati told journalists that they had only been invited for routine consultations.

“It is not true that Nigeria has recalled its envoy in South Africa on account of recent xenophobic attacks in that country,” he said. “There is a mix up and misinformation on the matter.

“The truth is that Nigeria has not recalled his envoy from South Africa. What has been done is to invite the Charge De Affairs in that country for routine consultation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Recall of envoy is a serious and sensitive matter, that has not happened.”

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: This space is available for a Text_Ad.. Call Willie on +2347088095401 for more information


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.