Gombe explosions: Doctors overwhelmed treating victims – Official

FILE PHOTO: Scene of Nyanya (Abuja) bomb blast

The doctors treating victims of the suicide bomb explosions in Gombe last week have complained of being overwhelmed with work.

The doctors said the strike by the other health workers has made the treatment of the victims more difficult.

The doctors’ union, NMA, Gombe State Chapter, therefore, called on the Joint Health Sector Union, JOHESU, in the state, to suspend its strike and attend to victims of recent bomb blasts in the state.

The Chairman of NMA in the state, Adamu Danladi, made the call while speaking with journalists in Gombe on Sunday.

He said doctors in the state had been making frantic efforts to attend to victims, but that the work was overwhelming as they were performing the jobs of almost every health worker.

According to him, members of the union have been working overnight, performing surgeries on the victims and other patients at the Specialists Hospital, Gombe.

Mr. Danladi refuted a newspaper report that victims of the blasts were not being treated at the hospital because doctors were on strike.

“All the patients in the hospital now are being attended to by the doctors as all other workers in the health sector are on strike.

“We are not happy for the report which said we are on strike because we are the only health workers that are performing our duties.

“Actually we are overwhelmed and we want everybody to come and assist the victims.

“They (victims) are our brothers and sisters, so we should come and assist,” he said.

Also commenting on the issue, a consultant surgeon, Adesina Opoola, said the victims were received and attended to by all doctors up to 2 p.m., but said they needed more hands as the work was overwhelming.

Gombe metropolis recorded two suicide bomb blasts last week killing some people and injuring dozens of others.

Gombe, located in north-eastern Nigeria has witnessed several Boko Haram attacks in recent times.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


TEXT AD: This NAFDAC APPROVED Solution Will Make You Stay Longer Than 40Mins In Bed Tonight And Help Your Erection. Click Here To Read The Free Reports


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • ceweeco projects

    Whether Muslims do or don’t represent the innocent women and children slaughtered everyday is of no interest to thinking folk. The rest of the world gave up obsessing about religion 300 years ago. It’s no surprise that Muslims have contributed nothing to human good for centuries. The only question Muslims need to address is, how they mature beyond these laughable, childish fairy stories and killing of people for whatever reason.

    • Otile

      They are killing for virgins. Don’t say …killing people for whatever reason.

  • Yusuf

    we will not relent in our prayers. May Allah reward this innocent victims with the highest honor in paradise

  • Ayemi

    With all these terrible things going on under Jonathan’s administration yet, he still wants to continue forever!!! This is ridiculous. This man should should be ashamed of himself.