A Muslim group has called on the Nigerian government to seriously treat the threat by extremist group, Boko Haram, to attack the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II.
The Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, on Thursday warned that the open threat issued by the terror group is not an empty one.
The group in a statement signed by its Director, Ishaq Akintola asked security authorities to step up security around the Emir.
“We invite Nigerian security agencies to take the threat seriously. The Emir’s palace should be made impregnable,” Mr. Akintola said.
Mr. Akintola said there is need for security agencies to be more proactive by providing adequate security for all top religious leaders including presidents and secretaries of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN and the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, NSCIA.
He also said the threat is a challenge to Nigerian security operatives in the counter – terrorism campaign.
He also called on Nigerians to be at alert and to help the security agencies with real time information on the terrorist’s activities.
Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, in a new video threatened to attack the Emir of Kano in retaliation for the Emir’s call on Kano residents and other Nigerians to arm and defend themselves against the terror organization.
Mr. Shekau said his group does not consider Mr. Sanusi a true Muslim, and will attack him whenever an opportunity presents itself.
The Emir had earlier issued a call to arms after a series of deadly attacks by suspected Boko Haram militants in Kano.
Speaking at Kano’s central Mosque in October, the Emir charged the people of Kano to arm and defend themselves against the sect, which is responsible for more than 13,000 deaths.