The Nigerian Chief of Defence Staff, Kenneth Minimah, has vowed to regain all the territories taken over by the Boko Haram insurgents.
He stated this at a meeting with the Senate Committee for Defence and the Army on Thursday.
The meeting was called to find out the next step for the military and how they would tackle insurgency in Nigeria.
Boko Haram recently captured several local governments in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States.
At the end of the meeting, Mr. Minimah, a Major General, told reporters, “We are working very hard to retake these territories and very soon, we will claim them and indeed other territories.
“I want to continue to rekindle the confidence of Nigerians and particularly the ordinary Nigerians, who have suffered the pain of these insurgencies.
“The Nigerian Army would do its best and strive to win this war and reclaim the lost territories.”
The chairman of the committee, Mr. Sekibo, said they believed the military would do their best as they had been given assurance that a positive impact would be seen this time.
He also said that the military asked them to inform the constituents in those states that the issues would not escalate and there would be positive results in a couple of weeks.
He said there was a possibility that elections would hold in those states as long as the terrains were captured soon.
When asked by a journalist if the assurance was not in vain as the military had always made this promise, Mr. Sekibo said that they had confidence in the military that it was real this time.
The governor of Adamawa State, Bala Ngilari, had said Thursday that local vigilante groups have recaptured Mubi, a major town lost to Boko Haram.
Speaking through his spokesperson, the governor said the operation received the support of the military.