NJC condemns attack on Ekiti judges, demands immediate probe

The National Judicial Council, NJC, has condemned the attack on judicial officers in Ekiti State and has called on the Inspector-General of Police to immediately investigate the attacks.

The council, “in very strong terms” deplored the attacks launched on judges and other judicial workers in the state last week, a statement said Thursday.

Political thugs backing the governor-elect of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, stormed court rooms were election petition hearings were held last week, manhandling judges and other staffers.

The attacks drew widespread condemnations. The federal government has yet to order an investigation.

The NJC, Nigeria’s highest judicial regulatory body, urged the police chief to take over the matter and investigate allegations that police officers refused to intervene while the attacks lasted.

The NJC “in very strong terms, condemns the attacks on the judiciary and judicial officers in particular, the one carried out in High Court Complex, Ado-Ekiti on Sept. 22 and Sept. 25, 2014,” a statement by Soji Oye, the council’s Acting Director of Information, said Thursday.

“NJC also requests the Inspector-General of Police to take over and investigate the alleged attacks on Hon. Justices John Adeyeye and Isaac Olusegun Ogunyemi, `including some members of staff of the court,” the statement added.

Mr. Oye said the statement was issued after an emergency meeting of the NJC presided over by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mariam Aloma-Mukhtar, the Chief Justice of Nigeria.

The meeting was convened to consider complaints received on the attacks. The affected judges had petitioned the NJC after the attack.

“NJC also requests the inspector-general of police to investigate the destruction of property of the High Court of Justice, Ado-Ekiti and bring the culprits to justice.

“It requests the inspector-general of police as a matter of urgency to provide adequate security to judicial officers and the judiciary in Ekiti State,’’ the statement stated.

According to the statement, all petitions forwarded by all parties to the council on the matter are being looked into. (NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.