The Nigerian military said on Monday that it has subdued more members of the extremist Boko Haram sect.
The Defence Headquarters, DHQ, on Monday in a tweet said 10 terrorists surrendered to some troops at Kawuri village in Borno State.
The terrorists are being held by the military for necessary security briefing, the DHQ said.
“Another Set of 10 Terrorists yesterday surrendered to Troops at #Kawuri. In custody for necessary security debriefing #VictoryforNigeria,” the military said.
Five members of the group had earlier surrendered to massive onslaught by troops in Konduga community, according to the DHQ. The military said the insurgents had also pleaded for mercy while surrendering their weapons.
The DHQ also said there was no raid in any part of Nigeria as widely reported by some Cameroonian soldiers.
The DHQ said all operations in Konduga, its environs and all border locations within Nigeria are handled by Nigerian troops.
Shekau dead again?
There are reports that Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the Boko Haram sect has been killed.
But this is not the first time security operatives in Nigeria have made that claim. Every time the Nigerian security claims he is dead, Mr. Shekau emerges in videos denying he had been killed.
However, the SSS, on May 12, through its spokesperson, Marilyn Ogar, insisted that the man in the videos released by the sect was not the real Mr. Shekau.
“Boko Haram has become a franchise, anybody can assume and lay claim to any name. What I know is that the original Abubakar Shekau is dead; the person claiming to be the national leader now is not the original Abubakar Shekau.”
Security sources are now saying that the man impersonating the late Mr. Shekau has now been killed.
But the military is yet to officially confirm his death.
PREMIUM TIMES has also not been able to independently verify if Mr. Shekau is truly dead.