Nigerian military ‘crushes’ Boko Haram in failed Konduga revenge

Nigerian soldiers on patrol in Maiduguri

Nigerian forces crushed a revenge attack by Boko Haram fighters in Konduga, Borno State, killing many of them, the military said Wednesday.

The revenge mission followed the killing of more than 100 militants by soldiers last week, the military said.

“Troops this morning successfully crushed another attempt by terrorists who were on a revenge mission to Konduga, after 12 hours of fighting in the outskirts of the Borno State community,” the military said in a statement.

The statement posted on the Defence Headquarters’ website, said three Hilux vehicles, one Armoured Personnel Carrier, and a cache of arms and ammunition were recovered.

“Troops are now combing the vicinity, in a cordon and search operation to determine the heavy casualties suffered by the terrorists in the encounter,” it said.

Meanwhile, Olajide Layeye, the Director of Army Public Relations, said the morale, fighting spirit and combat efficiency of troops have been boosted after the military devised “new strategies” against Boko Haram.

In a statement Wednesday, Mr. Laleye, a Brigadier General, said the support of well-meaning members of the public had also boosted the morale of the troops.

“Therefore, the Nigerian Army implores the public to continue to support the military and other security agencies engaged in the ongoing operation to rid Nigeria of bloodletting insurgents and ruthless religious extremists.’’

The army spokesman denied there was an attack by Boko Haram on soldiers in Kogi State.

“In reality, the incident was a case of armed robbery attack on troops of 322 Artillery Regiment who were travelling in seven Marcopolo buses to Kontagora for an engagement,” he said.

Mr. Laleye said the robbers mistook soldiers for normal civilian travellers, who ply the route.

He said that three soldiers, who sustained injuries during the robbery attack, were receiving appropriate medical care and would soon join their colleagues.

He said a claim in some media about a Boko Haram attack had not facts.

“The inherent danger in this brand of journalism is that it heightens public fear, endangers public safety and creates the wrong impression that Boko Haram is everywhere,’’ he said.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.