Nigeria has successfully reduced the number of Ebola cases in the country to one, the Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, has said.
As of Tuesday, only one Ebola patient remained in isolation in Nigeria, down from the 13 cases the country confirmed since the outbreak of the virus in July, Mr. Chukwu said at a press conference.
“Ebola has been curtailed,” Mr. Chukwu said. “All 129 people under surveillance have completed the 21day observation period and only a person is symptomatic and is being observed.”
The deadly virus was first brought to Nigeria, 38 days ago, by a Liberian-American man, Patrick Sawyer. Mr. Sawyer later died, but after health workers who treated him had contracted the virus.
Mr. Chukwu said so far Nigeria has had 13 cases including the index case. Five of those infected died, while seven have successfully recovered and have been discharged.
Two of the nurses who managed Mr. Sawyer were discharged Monday at the isolation centre in Lagos, Mr. Chukwu said.
All the 129 people who were under surveillance have completed the 21 day observation incubation period and only one person was found to be symptomatic and is still being observed, he added.
According to the Minister of Health, the country will continue working towards curtailing the spread of the disease.
As a way of preventing further importation of the virus into Nigeria, the minister said some equipment are being provided for the 49 land borders to screen everyone coming into the country.
Repeatedly, Mr. Chukwu stated that the late Dr. Ameyo Adedavoh’s younger sister tested negative to the Ebola virus in reaction to news that she was suspected of being infected with the virus.