Police Confirm 15 Dead, 5 Injured In Second Kaduna Blast

Police say investigation has commenced in the incident.

A second bomb that hit Kaduna Wednesday targeting former military leader, Muhammadu Buhari, killed 15 people, the Kaduna police have said.

A police spokesperson, Aminu Lawan, said investigations have commenced into the incident.

Police had earlier confirmed that 25 persons were killed in the first blast which targeted Islamic cleric, Dahiru Bauchi, along Alkali road.

Scene of the Kaduna bomb blast
Scene of the Kaduna bomb blast

Mr. Bauchi was attacked on his way back from Murtala Square, where he had gone to hold the final round of his annual Tafsir programme.

“Twenty five people lost their lives in the first blast, while 15 were killed in the second one and five persons who were injured were evacuated to the hospital for treatment,” Mr. Lawan said over the telephone.

On Thursday, the Kaduna State relaxed a 24-hour curfew imposed on the state after the two blasts.

A spokesperson to Governor Ramalan Yero of Kaduna State said the curfew was lifted since normalcy had returned to the state.

“Following the return of normalcy in Kaduna Metropolis, the State Security Council have relaxed the curfew imposed yesterday after the unfortunate incidences. The public are hereby advised to go about their normal activities and remain calm,” the spokesperson, Ahmed Maiyaki, said.

The two explosions in Kaduna Wednesday killed at least 40 people. Some estimates say as many as 70 people perished in the attacks.

The first explosion occurred along Isa Kaita Road close to the popular Murtala Mohammed Square, targeting a prominent Islamic cleric, Dahiru Bauchi.

As news of the attack spread across the state, and the country, a second explosion occurred barely two hours later, this time targeting a former military ruler, Muhammadu Buhari.

Meanwhile, the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has condemned the bombings, describing them as dastardly and unfortunate.Buhari attacked by Boko Harram 22

The PDP National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, said the party, while mourning the dead, “joins all well-meaning Nigerians in thanking God for saving the lives of General Muhammadu Buhari and Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi whose convoys were affected in the incident.”

“We sincerely sympathise with General Buhari. Our hearts go out to him and all those affected in these wicked attacks,” the PDP said.

The party which stated that it was shocked by the ugly development reiterated its call for all Nigerians to unite against acts of terrorism irrespective of ethnic, political and religious affiliations adding, “It has become clear that anybody could be a target.”

It however cautioned opposition leaders to be careful with their utterances regarding the unfortunate incident, saying that Nigerians must unite for the nation to win the war against terror.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.