The Chief of Defence Staff said he’s ordered an investigation into the attack.
Nigeria’s top military commander, Ola Ibrahim, has spoken of his “shock” at Sunday’s embarrassing suicide assault that breached a fortified military centre in Jaji to kill more than a dozen people.
Mr. Ibrahim, an Admiral and Chief of Defence Staff, said the success of the brazen attack at the highly rated training facility was surprising.
The military boss spoke on Tuesday during a visit to the scene where at least 15 people, many of them church worshippers, were killed in twin bomb attacks after service Sunday at the Jaji military training centre.
The incident, followed by another attack on a major police base in Abuja on Monday, humiliated the nation’s security forces amidst a celebrated claim of vital wins the forces posted over insurgent group, Boko Haram. The Joint Task Force placed bounties on the group’s leaders last week.
Two cars targeted St. Andrews Protestant Church at the Jaji Military Cantonment, detonating explosives one after the other in an attack that left more than 30 others wounded, according to the military.
The attack surprised many residents of Kaduna, who are accustomed to the military’s heavy security structure at the facility.
“It is not easy to enter Jaji just like that whether it is Sunday or not, you have to have an ID that shows you either live there or you have clearance to enter,” a resident told PREMIUM TIMES.
Mr. Ibrahim said the military will be clear with a response only after an immediate investigation he announced Tuesday.
“That will determine the next line of action by the Defence Headquarters in the next few days,” he told journalists.
Four other victims on admittance in hospitals were reported to have died on Monday.
Abdullahi Kure, the Commandant of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC), Jaji, told Governor Patrick Yakowa of Kaduna State that the death toll from the blast had risen to 15.
Victims of the attack are being treated in heavily guarded military health facilities in Kaduna.
One of the victims, a senior Air Force personnel, was said to have been transported abroad for urgent medical attention, following serious burns he sustained from the attack.