Reps vow to boycott Jonathan’s budget presentation

FILE PHOTO: House of Representative in session

Members of the House of Representatives have vowed to boycott President Goodluck Jonathan’s budget presentation next Thursday, in a fresh phase of continued tension between the executive and the lawmakers over budget implementation.

The House had earlier announced a week-long suspension of its sitting to allow members assess the extent of the implementation of the 2012 budget, the same week Mr. Jonathan notified he will be presenting the 2013 spending details to a joint Senate and House in plenary.

Lawmakers said on Thursday that the field evaluation will continue despite the president’s notification, and urged a reschedule of the presentation to avoid a boycott.

“The House is not ready because they are still working on the 2012 budget,” the spokesperson, Zakari Mohammed, said after a unanimous House vote on the matter.

Mr. Zakari said the proposed budget presentation will be “unrealistic” if the date remains the same. He said the president is aware of the House timeline.

The House and the Executive have had months of tense relationship over the implementation of the budget. Last week, the spokesperson broached briefly on the possibility of the House rejecting altogether the 2013 presentation if its impression of the field performance was not positive.

By Thursday, the degree of implementation remained dismal, Abdulmumin Jubrin, Chairman House Committee on Finance said at a meeting with the Minister of State for Finance, Yerima Ngama, and the Director General of the Budget Office, Bright Okogwu.
The Speaker, Aminu Tambuwal, who presided over the Thursday plenary, pledged to liaise with the leadership of the Senate to arrive at a compromise on the budget presentation.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:ADVERTISE HERE! CALL 07088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Emeka Odikpo

    These men in the National Assembly are clearly missing the Obasanjo era when constant crisis between the executive and the legislature meant constant ghana must go bags. They are hell bent on simulating a crisis from which they will benefit aplenty with cash in their pockect. Smart alecs.

    • bas

      Thank you, my brother. You have hit the nail on the head!

  • Dr Pat Kolawole Awosan

    What 2013-budget would the inept,visionless and irresponsible weakling PDP president Ebele Jonathan presenting to the National Assembly? 2012 budget implementation and huge National Aeemsbly passed bills which are unsigned still outstanding on the president Jonathan table.This is not about Ghana Must Go Bags bribes as been insinuated by some unscrupulous ethnic biase blind mice poster of comments in this forum.
    President Jonathan has achieved nothing from 2012 budget that benefitted the people of Nigeria in any sector,hence what kind of fallacy-sort of 2013 budget would Jonathan presenting?
    Lagos to Ibadan road and Lagos to Ore to Benin roads are still unrehabilitated and Jonathan is borrowing more foreign loans while he misappropriates our scarce national impresss on frivolities.
    The question most Nigerians must ask when it comes to the expectations of progress and infrastrucutures development is:Can anything developmental and democratic benefitial to Nigerians ever come out of PDP president Ebele Jonathan regime?
    Dr Pat Kolawole Awosan,
    Writes From Canada.