The police in Ondo State on Tuesday confirmed the release of a cleric, Olu Obanla, and his son, who were kidnapped along the Ifon-Okeluse Road in Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State on Saturday.
Funmilayo Odunlami, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) for the Command in Ondo State, confirmed the release of the cleric and his son to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
She said they were released on Monday around 12.30 p.m. somewhere in Edo.
“As I am speaking with you, I am in Abuja. But I can confirm to you that the victims had been released since yesterday (Monday) around 12.30 p.m. somewhere in Edo, and they have been reunited with their families.
“But I cannot confirm to you if the family paid any ransom or not before they were released,” she said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mr Obanla and his son were travelling along the road on Saturday when the hoodlums accosted and dragged them to an unknown destination inside the bush.
The kidnappers had earlier demanded a N10 million ransom for the release of the victims, but the family was unable to raise the amount.
They could only raise N1 million which was rejected by the abductors.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: Call Willie - +2348098788999