Lawyer withdraws suit against APC chieftain who accused Supreme Court of bribery

APC Chieftain, Joe Igbokwe (Photo Credit: Concise News)
APC Chieftain, Joe Igbokwe (Photo Credit: Concise News)

A Lagos-based human rights lawyer, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa. has withdrawn a suit filed before a federal court against a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, who accused the Supreme Court of receiving bribes from Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State.

Joe Igbokwe, the publicity secretary of the APC in Lagos State, on July 16 posted on Facebook that ”Wike will not have the audacity and the temerity to kill again and run to the Supreme Court to buy justice. It will never happen again in Nigeria where Buhari is the President”.

In a response to the post, the Rivers State government gave Mr Igbokwe seven days to name the Supreme Court justices, Mr Wike had allegedly bribed or be ready to face the consequences.

Also, Mr Adegboruwa instituted a suit before a Lagos Division of the Federal High Court seeking among others a declaration that Mr Igbokwe’s post warranted to a denigration of the integrity and authority of the Supreme Court.

Joined as a respondent in the suit was the Attorney-General of the Federation.

Mr Adegboruwa also sought an order directing the APC chieftain to “forthwith vacate, relinquish and surrender any and all public positions that he presently occupies.”

Mr Igbokwe also serves as the chairman of the Lagos State Wharf Landing Fee Collecting Authority.

Last Friday, the APC chieftain tendered an apology for the post saying: “It was a mistake and I take responsibility for my action. It was a personal opinion. This is to tender an unconditional and unreserved apology to all those felt (sic) offended by my post and a promise to avoid such drivel in future.”

Mr Adegboruwa said since Mr Igbokwe had apologised, there was no need to continue with the suit.

“In my mind, this settles the substance of the case filed in court, which was meant to protect the judiciary as an institution, not necessarily to shield any person identified or suspected to be involved corrupt practices, from probe or prosecution,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.

“I have consulted widely, I have read and digested all comments and suggestions in this regard and I’m mindful to align with the view that the apology and undertaking of Mr Joe Igbokwe should suffice to put an end to the case filed in court.

“Accordingly, the entire claims stated Suit No. FHC/L/CS/1240/2018, between Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, Esq. v. The Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation & Mr. Joe Igbokwe, have been wholly discontinued against all the defendants in the said suit.

“A notice of discontinuance has been filed at the Federal High Court on July 24, 2018, effectively withdrawing the case.

“Individual Judges may err, some lawyers may falter and even the judicial system may appear weak and feeble, but we cannot afford to destroy the institution itself, as the options for our nation, to function without a respectable judiciary, will be catastrophic. A society where the rule of might prevails cannot enjoy peace and prosperity.”

Last week, PREMIUM TIMES reported how Mr Igbokwe was caught spreading fake news on his Facebook wall when he posted that President Muhammadu Buhari had one Obinna Chukwuka as his new chief security officer.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.