NAHCON set to announce Hajj 2018 fare

Pic.22. Muslim pilgrims from Kwara boarding during the inaugural air-lift of 2017 pilgrims at the International Airport in Ilorin on Thursday (3/8/17). 04011/3/8/2017/Anthony Alabi/BJO/NAN
Muslim pilgrims

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) is set to announce the Hajj fare package for 2018 pilgrimage.

The commission has approved Hajj fare for all the 36 states, FCT and Armed Forces for Hajj 2018.

To this end, the total package for each state Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Boards and Agencies will be announced soon, PREMIUM TIMES gathered.

The commission had approved a fare of around N1.5 million and above for some states, the FCT and Armed Forces for the 2017 Hajj.

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that all the state Muslim pilgrims boards and agencies have concluded defending their proposed fares and are awaiting final approval from NAHCON.

A top official of the commission on Tuesday evening informed PREMIUM TIMES that because of the controversy generated by the announcement of the fare last year “ the commission is consulting widely and inputs from all stakeholders are are being considered.”

The source, who declined to be named because he has no permission to speak to the press on the fare issue, said 2018 Hajj fare “ may however be around the same rate as that of last year despite the increment in some service charges in Saudi Arabia.”

He said NAHCON was able to get some concessions for Nigerian Pilgrims.

According to him, while many nations are having a bit of increase in their fares for 2018, Nigeria has done everything possible to not only maintain the fare, but also get a downward review for some states.

He said NAHCON has eliminated some local “administrative charges” which has reflected in the fare to be announced.

“Also, contrary to the usual practice whereby the total fare is announced by the commission, the 2018 fare will announced individually by the states,” he said.

When contacted, NAHCON chairman, Abdullahi Mohammed, simply said “ it is true a lot of work has gone into arriving at the fare and we will soon make it public.”

NAHCON had earlier given an April deadline for states to propose and defend their Hajj fare.


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.