The House of Representatives Committee investigating the Jon-Ode led Presidential Arms Probe Panel will commence its public hearing on Wednesday.
The chairman of Public Safety, National Security and Intelligence Committee, Aminu Sani Jaji, revealed this to PRNigeria in Abuja.
The house had mandated a joint committee constituted by the House committees on National Security and Intelligence and Public Procurement to investigate the Jon-Ode led Presidential Arms probe panel which was recently disbanded by the federal government.
The joint committee is chaired by Mr. Jaji, the chairman of the Committee on National Security and Intelligence, and his counterpart, Oluwole Oke, of the Committee on Public Procurement.
The arm probe panel was inaugurated in 2015 by the Presidency to investigate procurement of hardware and ammunition for the Armed Forces from 2007 to 2015 and to identify irregularities and make recommendations for streamlining the procurement process in the military.
The panel had in 2015 submitted its first report while it presented the second report in 2016 following which President Muhammadu Buhari ordered the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to investigate some serving and retired military officers, mainly from the Nigerian Air Force (NAF).
Mr. Jaji said arrangements had been concluded to conduct the hearing.
“The Presidency set up a presidential committee on armed procurement and the Office of the National Security Adviser also set up another verification committee to ascertain some of the claims,” he said.
He said the committee had submitted its reports based on the information in the public domain which are preliminary.
“Findings have further shown that very few claims of the firms involved in arms procurement have so far been verified while nothing is being done on others.”
He said the National Assembly had received a lot of petitions and complaints over the conduct of the panel and activities of the firms being probed.
“We are inundated with complaints that the inability of the panel to submit its reports has led to the failure of the government to pay arms contractors for their work and is affecting military operation,” he said.
Mr. Jaji said there were allegations that some of the contracts awarded were outrageous, apart from the fact that many did not follow due process and yet others received payment without carrying out the jobs.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...