The Code of Conduct Tribunal has set July 13 to rule on an application filed by Senate President, Bukola Saraki, for the tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar, to disqualify himself from the trial.
Mr. Saraki is facing a 16-count charge of alleged false declaration of assets.
The senate president accuses the judge of having a pre-determined position on the matter.
The tribunal had earlier dismissed a similar application.
In the latest application, one of Mr. Saraki’s lawyers, Paul Erokoro, cited a comment by Mr. Umar that delay tactics adopted by the defence would not change the “consequence” of the trial.
“The applicable word here is ‘consequence’,” said Mr. Erokoro.
Mr. Erokoro said the application for the replacement of Mr. Umar was supported by various affidavits including previous reports by the media.
In his reply, the lead prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, argued that the claim by the defence were not known to law.
He prayed the court to dismiss the application.
The tribunal chairman said the application would be determined on July, 13.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...