The Kano State Hisba Board on Tuesday said it had commenced preparations for the mass wedding of another batch of 2,000 widows and divorcees in the state.
The Director-General of the board, Abba Sufi, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano.
Mr. Sufi said the preparations followed recent directive by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje to the Board to start arrangement for the wedding of another batch of 2,000 couples.
“The governor recently directed us to start preparations for the wedding of another set of widows and divorcees.
“So, the board has since commenced preparations for the event, expected to take place before the end of the year,” he said.
The director-general said the board intended to introduce some innovations to improve on its programmes with a view to addressing previous challenges.
He said the present administration was determined to sustain the programme in view of its benefits to the society.
“The aim of the programme is to check prostitution and other vices in the society, hence the decision of government to sustain it,” Mr. Sufi said.
He urged prospective couples to cooperate with the board in order to ensure the success of the programme.
No fewer than 5,000 couples had so far benefitted from the government- sponsored mass wedding programme introduced by the immediate-past governor, Rabi’u Kwankwaso, in May 2012.