President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday during the Presidential Media Chat refused to categorically condemn some prominent Niger Delta militants who threatened war should the president be voted out of office in the forthcoming elections.
Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, leader, Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force; Victor Ben Ebikabowei, aka, Boy Loaf; and Government Ekpudomenowei, aka, Tompolo had in January declared there would be war if their kinsman, Mr. Jonathan does not win the elections during a meeting in Yenagoa, capital of Bayelsa State.
Speaking Wednesday, the president said provocative statements were usually made by “actors” surrounding politicians, adding that such statements might not actually imply the intentions of the politician contesting an election.
“You know the actors around you can be carried away. These people (ex-militants) made these statements … based on ….you know when they have been carried away,” he said.
He said provocative statements had been made by his opponents, stressing they too had threatened war.
Mr. Jonathan said he had been careful in making statements, being a sitting president.
“The issue of insecurity is beyond Boko Haram,” adding that “Politicians are instigating some young people to act in ways not expected.”
He however said Nigeria will not go to war.
“Nobody will go to war. Nigeria will remain Nigeria,” the president said. “My plea is that without Nigeria, there will be no president.”
But Mr. Jonathan categorically refused to condemn the threats by Mr. Dokubo and the others.