Jonathan owes Nigerians explanation over fake Boko Haram ceasefire – APC Campaign

Boko Haram

The APC Presidential Campaign Organisation has expressed concern that since the collapse of the phantom ceasefire with the Boko Haram terrorists, the Jonathan administration has decided not to talk about it, pretending that the passage of time would automatically make the issue die a natural death.

A statement by the Directorate of Media and Publicity of the campaign and signed by Garba Shehu said that the Jonathan government got it wrong on the curious silence over the botched deal. A democratic government should be open and accountable to the people. Accountability is the dividing line between a dictatorship and a democratic government, but the Jonathan administration is behaving as if it owes Nigerians no explanations over the failed ceasefire deal.

For the sake of Nigerians who may have lost their recollection of this epic national scandal called a “ceasefire deal” with Boko Haram, it is important to quote the government officials and remind them of the promises they made to free the Chibok girls under that phantom truce.

On October 17, 2014, the Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh excitedly told an expectant nation that a deal had been reached with Boko Haram, which included not only a ceasefire, but also the immediate release of the kidnapped Chibok girls within a week. He said: “…I wish to inform this audience that a ceasefire agreement has been concluded between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Ahlul Sunna Li Daawa Wal Jihad (Boko Haram). I have accordingly directed the service chiefs to ensure immediate compliance with this development in the field.”

A previously unknown man called Danladi Ahmadu was widely reported by the international media as being the contact person between Boko Haram, Chad and Nigeria. But within 24 hours, the Boko Haram putative leader, Abubakar Shekau, released a video message through the French news agency (AFP), denying any ceasefire deal and repudiated Danladi Ahmadu, the so-called Boko Haram representative at the ceasefire talks.

Ironically, while Air Marshal Badeh was directing service chiefs to enforce the “ceasefire immediately”, the Boko Haram terrorists launched simultaneous attacks on towns and villages, including Badeh’s hometown. The Boko Haram had not only discredited the “ceasefire”, but also vowed to continue their terrorist campaigns.

This purported “ceasefire” had brought instant ray of hope to the families of the Chibok girls, currently being held hostage by the terrorists. Sadly, their hope had evaporated after it became evident that the “ceasefire” was a hoax after all. There were also reports that Nigeria had lost millions of dollars to the fake peace deal.

What is more shocking, however, is that since the collapse of the so-called truce with Boko Haram, the federal government has maintained sealed lips, despite repeated reports that Nigeria had been conned into the “ceasefire” deal.

Rather than coming clean to tell Nigerians what happened, the Jonathan administration feels it owes the citizens no explanations. Is this the character of a democratic government? Why the government did announce a unilateral ceasefire without any assurance of the workability of the deal (if it had ever existed)? Does the government think the issue will die a natural death with the passage of time, hoping that the citizens don’t have the right to know? Should a democratic government be run like a cult when matters of public importance are shrouded in secrecy? Does greeting every issue of public importance, including the missing $50 billion and the millions of dollars allegedly lost to fake ceasefire deal with deliberate silence reflects the character of a serious and accountable government?

Signed:

Garba Shehu
Directorate of Media and Publicity, APC campaign


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Mr. Abdin

    The most interesting about the purported seized fire is very funny as all of a sudden it took a different dimension and that is why it is very important for the government of the day to come out and explain to Nigerians what really happened. The call for the APC for explanation is a welcome development.

  • Tayo Ogundipe

    The ceasefire agreement was a leap of faith, it is not the governments fault if they decided to go back on the agreement, if I must be sincere APC should stop looking for cheap ways via media and social networks to undermine the good works of our president…and Yes I am pro Jonathan and I support his government.

    • concerned9ja

      Yeah,good you came out to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Jonathan. Since this govt pays you, you should identify with it. However, let me pray for you: May God make your life the way Jonathan is ruling this country. Did I hear you say ‘Amen?

    • Otile

      God bless you for saying the truth, bro.

  • tundemash

    The “oluwole” ceasefire was to enable the military loose momentum and the Boko Haram boys regroup and the objective was met! End of

    • Otile

      We did not know this was the reason APC sabotaged the ceasefire. Abubakar tundemash, thanks for explaining to us what happens at Islamic camps.

      Ifa a gbe yin o.

      • tundemash

        Otile Shekau… if APC sabotaged the “oluwole” ceasefire, why can’t the govt. headed by Dumbo arrest the saboteurs and put them on trial. WHEN EXACTLY ARE U GOING TO LEND DUMBO YOUR BALLS ?

  • Otile

    Too bad, APC chieftains hate ceasefire. When the government initiated one APC sabotaged it only to come back to blame Jonathan.

    • ICC Hague

      why cant your paymaster arrest those APC behind the sabotage, but prefer to maintain sealed lips, as a result of this fake ceasefire a lot people and soldiers died, Nigeria lost territories and resources we need explaination even after GEJ is voted out, he must explain.

  • The Rule

    The expert has spoken and I concur with him. I am sure that Buhari will not understand Soludo’s submissions here nor his nepotism-appointed ministers.

  • emmanuel anizoba

    It’s diversionary and mischievous to reduce this debate to “sale of national assets”, where the real issue is “the sale of non-performing assets”. We all know how the non-performing so-called national assets have fuelled corruption and sleaze. But the foolishness of keeping those assets must end someday. Cheers!