The House of Representatives committee on public petitions has invited the Say No Campaign for an investigative hearing on the National Youth Service Corps’ N4, 000 registration fee.
According to a letter sent by the clerk for the Chairman, House of Representatives, Michael Egwu, the investigative hearing will take place on Wednesday, October 22, at the House’s committee wing in Abuja.
The group, Say No Campaign, had earlier petitioned the House of Representative on the proposed N4, 000 online levy by the NYSC with a view to reverse the directive.
The Director, Corps Mobilisation, Anthony Ani, on a radio programme, in September, had declared that corps members would now pay N4, 000 to download their call-up letters online.
Mr. Ani explained that the charge was introduced to stop fresh graduates from traveling back to their schools to pick up the letters.
The announcement was met with criticism from various Nigerians, who described the fee as an as exploitation of fresh graduates.
Due to the criticisms, the Minister of Interior, Abba Morro, in a Channels TV’s breakfast programme, Sunrise, said that the Nigerian government will review the online registration fee.
“Given the reactions of Nigerians, whether it (the N4000 mobilisation fee) is right or wrong is not the issue. It is whether it is acceptable,” Mr. Moro said in response to a question on the propriety or otherwise of the policy.
“From the reaction we are getting, it is unacceptable. I’m sure the authorities involved will review the situation.”