The outgoing 2018 was an eventful year for the news. From the nation’s often tumultuous politics to its governance, human rights to entertainment and business, newsmakers provided no letup.
PREMIUM TIMES stayed alert all year, and worked hard to inform millions of its dedicated readers around the world.
With exceptional originality, it served groundbreaking exclusives and indepth investigations that provoked policy changes.
There is a chance you missed some of these reports. We have a quick recap of 20 notable exclusive reports for you:
1. EXCLUSIVE: Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun skips NYSC, forges certificate
Nigeria’s Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun, did not participate in the mandatory one-year national youth service scheme. Instead, she forged an exemption certificate many years after graduation.
Read more here: https://goo.gl/yBgvd4
2. EXCLUSIVE: God will never forgive me if I support Atiku- Obasanjo
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo said former Vice President Atiku Abubakar should not count on him for support in his latest bid to actualise his life-long ambition of being elected the president of Nigeria.
Read more: https://goo.gl/zQs3ht
3. EXCLUSIVE: IGP Idris gets Buhari’s nod to arrest Saraki over murders in Kwara
President Muhammadu Buhari in June, 2018 said he had no objections to any plan by the police to arrest Senate President Bukola Saraki over a string of murder cases in Kwara State, PREMIUM TIMES learnt.
Read more: https://goo.gl/FsXtus
4. EXCLUSIVE: Saraki’s anointed candidate for Kwara governorship, Razak Atunwa, skips NYSC, forges certificate
Mr Atunwa, lawyer and chair of House Committee on Justice, falsified NYSC certificate to run for governor, ignoring recent scandals of two ministers.
Read more: https://goo.gl/qoXMce
5. EXCLUSIVE: Former Daura’s ally says disgraced SSS boss took bribe
A former assistant to the sacked director general of State Security Service, Lawal Daura, accused his former principal of extensive corruption, and portrayed him as a man who serially betrayed his boss, President Muhammadu Buhari, for money.
Read more: https://goo.gl/mZek3J
6. EXCLUSIVE: Documents show Buhari’s govt. illegally diverted N378 billion NLNG dividend
The NLNG dividends are meant to be shared between the federal, state and local governments of Nigeria. But the NNPC has been abusing the funds.
Read more: https://goo.gl/QqbK4B
7. EXCLUSIVE: Buhari terminates $195 million ‘Israeli’ security contract promoted by Amaechi
President Muhammadu Buhari terminated a new defence procurement contract initiated by the members of his cabinet over allegations of fraud in May, 2018.
Read more: https://goo.gl/HG8FZX
8. EXCLUSIVE: Blocked from America, Atiku sells controversial $2.95 million U.S. home
The property was searched by the FBI in 2005 in connection with a bribery investigation.
Read more: https://goo.gl/KCAVWS
9. EXCLUSIVE: How Buhari plunged Nigeria into N2.7 trillion mess while spiting Jonathan
A U.S. District Court in Washington D.C. gave judgment affirming a $6.59 billion arbitral award, plus $2.30 billion interest, against Nigeria.
Read more: https://goo.gl/6vLNBT
10. EXCLUSIVE: Despite reforms, NNPC under Buhari ‘pockets’ N1.3 trn oil revenue
Since President Muhammadu Buhari assumed office, Nigeria’s state oil firm, NNPC, has withheld over 25 per cent of revenues realised from domestic crude oil sales, refusing to pay same into the Federation Account, a PREMIUM TIMES investigation shows.
11. EXCLUSIVE: How Saraki plotted to cover up evidence of secret assets in tax havens
A month after the public learnt that Senate President Bukola Saraki owned undeclared offshore assets in tax havens — in violation of Nigeria’s code of conduct law— the top lawmaker dispatched his foreign lawyers to Panama to ‘review’ company documents at the headquarters of Mossack Fonseca.
Read more: https://goo.gl/aKmjVW
12. EXCLUSIVE: N10 billion Adeosun Largesse: Saraki’s N’Assembly paid N5.6 bn to 44 unqualified firms – FULL LIST
Nigeria’s National Assembly led by Senate President Bukola Saraki and House Speaker Yakubu Dogara paid out N5, 638, 664, 700 to 44 unqualified contractors, PREMIUM TIMES and UDEME authoritatively reported.
Read more: https://goo.gl/mJUHcr
13. EXCLUSIVE: The untold security, intelligence conundrum of the Buhari administration
The power tussle within the president’s closest advisers causes confusion within security circles.
Read more: https://goo.gl/7NVe97
14. EXCLUSIVE: How Saraki’s National Assembly spent N6.6bn Adeosun largesse on exotic cars
Funds for the vehicles were sourced from the N10billion the former finance minister, Kemi Adeosun gave lawmakers.
Read more: https://goo.gl/PA6qD7
15. Malabu Scandal: While two ex-Nigerian ministers remain in hiding, UK returns $85 mn to Nigeria
The money was initially frozen in the UK at the request of Italian authorities.
Read more: https://goo.gl/5zu43G
16. Malabu Scandal: How Etete bought luxury Dubai properties with funds
PREMIUM TIMES’ UK partner, Finance Uncovered, discovered the name of former Nigerian oil minister Daniel Etete among thousands of property and residency records compiled by assorted real estate professionals in Dubai.
Read more: https://goo.gl/iGbBdm
17. EXCLUSIVE: Real reasons Senators, Reps amended 2019 election sequence
Some lawmakers who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES in confidence said negotiations that preceded the passage ended in majority favouring the change based on past experiences and calculations about the 2019 elections.
Read more: https://goo.gl/tjjGtA
18. EXCLUSIVE: Adebayo Shittu in fresh scandal, presented N5,000 tax receipt to become minister
To become a member of the Federal Executive Council, Adebayo Shittu, Nigeria’s communications minister recently exposed for failing to take part in the national youth service, submitted to the Nigerian Senate a receipt of N5,000 as proof of his tax compliance for three years.
Read more: https://goo.gl/PeKckG
19. EXCLUSIVE: How agency headed by Buhari’s in-law is violating Nigeria’s procurement law
Fresh procurement documents obtained by PREMIUM TIMES have revealed how the Border Communities Development Agency (BDCA) illegally shortlisted unqualified companies for a slew of federal contracts across the country.
20. EXCLUSIVE: Minister Adeosun, Saraki, Dogara, Accountant General in N10 billion fraud scandal
The National Assembly, led by Senate President Bukola Saraki and Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, illegally received and shared a hefty N10 billion from the national treasury.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...