How Premium Times editor-in-chief was manhandled for defending reporter’s rights

Special anti robbery squad of the Nigerian police force used to illustrate the story. [Photo credit:]

An operative of the police Special Anti-robbery Squad, (SARS) on Tuesday physically assaulted PREMIUM TIMES editor-in-chief, Musikilu Mojeed, as he tried to defend a reporter from being harassed at the SARS headquarters, Abuja.

The police, through SARS, had on Saturday verbally requested that a reporter, Azeezat Adedigba, who covers the education beat appear before it on Monday morning over a ‘criminal investigation’ it was carrying out. PREMIUM TIMES later found out that this was a subterfuge to get at another reporter, Samuel Ogundipe, over a recent report he authored.

PREMIUM TIMES management had earlier insisted that the invitation request to Ms Adedigba be formally sent so she could report as requested.

As early as 10 a.m. on Tuesday, the reporter, in the company of Mr Mojeed and another staffer was at the SARS headquarters, Guzape, but was told the investigating officer, Emmanuel Onyeneho, was not available.

An armed aggressive operative (ostensibly acting on directives), who attended to the team, violently seized Ms Adedigba’s phone even when Mr Mojeed expressed willingness to wait with the reporter for the officer to know the reason for the invite.

The irate officer, in a sudden violent move to get at the phone, which was briefly in the hands of Mr Mojeed, shoved at him, physically manhandling him and threatening to “deal” with him even as he wielded a loaded gun. When told the reporter was not under arrest by a calm Mr Mojeed, the officer sneered and simply told the journalist not to go beyond a certain point or he would be dealt with.

After Ms Adedigba was led in, the editor and a staffer had to wait for over four hours before investigating officer, Emmanuel Onyeneho, eventually sauntered in at about 2 p.m.

Subsequently, the official, who initially declined giving details on the reason for the invitation, requested that Ms Adedigba dial a number, he provided, with her phone. The dialled number turned out to be that of Mr Ogundipe. The official requested that Mr Mojeed ask Mr Ogundipe to come over, a request the editor immediately obliged.

Immediately, Mr Ogundipe came in, Ms Adedigba was allowed to go while Messrs Mojeed and Ogundipe were detained.

It was at this point that the two were notified that the police were investigating the source of the interim report sent by the IGP on Mr Daura as published by PREMIUM TIMES.

They were subsequently driven to the IGP Monitoring Unit at Force Headquarters where Mr Ogundipe was detained.

Mr Ogundipe is currently being pressed to disclose his source for the report, a request he has declined. He has now been moved to the SARS headquarters where he is being detained while Mr Mojeed was released.


PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...

BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.