The Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, has summoned Senate President Bukola Saraki over the killing of 31 persons following an armed robbery attack in his home state of Kwara.
The police said 31 persons were killed in the April 5 attack which shocked the nation. Police said the suspects arrested in the attack confessed to being sponsored by Mr Saraki, describing it as the most deadly armed robbery in the country’s history.
Mr Saraki was previously summoned by the police in June, but the invitation was abruptly withdrawn and the top lawmaker was required to submit his response to the allegations in writing.
Mr Saraki complied with the demand, and no updates had been released from the police about the matter ever since.
In a statement Monday night, the Force Headquarters circulated a June 23, 2018 letter which Mr Idris wrote to Mr Saraki, asking him to turn himself in to clarify grey areas in his statement.
The police said Mr Saraki had said in his statement that he would not comment on the purported confession of the suspects since he was not privy to the specifics of their statements.
The police said Mr Saraki would now have the chance to read the statements of his accusers when he turned himself in at the Intelligence Response Team in Guzape neighbourhood, Abuja. He was asked to come by 8:00 a.m. on July 24.
A spokesperson for Mr Saraki was not immediately available for comments, but it was expected that the Senate President would honour the invitation. He expressed his readiness to honour the previous one issued to him until the police withdrew it by themselves.
Mr Saraki also strongly maintained his innocence, saying the police allegations were watery and politically-motivated.
Read the letter from the police to Mr Saraki below:
CR:3000/IGP.SEC/ABJ/VOL.131/707 23rdJuly, 2018
Senator Bukola Saraki,
The President of the Senate,
Federal Republic of Nigeria,
National Assembly Complex,
Three Arms Zone,
LETTER OF INVITATION
CASE OF OFFA BANK ROBBERY AND GRUESOME MURDER OF MORE THAN 31 PERSONS AND SNATCHING OF 21 AK47 RIFLES ON THE 5THOF APRIL, 2018.
I refer to this office letter CR:3000/IGP.SEC/ABJ/VOL./130/571 dated 4th June 2018 and your letter of response NASS/8th/S/SP/IGP/15/6/18 dated 7th June 2018 on the above subject matter (copies attached) and to further restate as follows;
2. Recall that the Police Intelligence Response Team(IRT)is investigating a case of Armed Robbery which occurred on the 5th of April, 2018 during which a gang of dare devil Armed Robbers, stormed Offa, Kwara State and attacked a Police Station, robbed six Banks namely First Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, ECO Bank, Zenith Bank, Union Bank and Ibolo Micro Finance Bank, killed over thirty one(31) Persons including nine Police officers and pregnant women and snatched twenty(21)AK47 rifles.
3. During the investigation of the Armed Robbery by the Intelligence Response Team, a CCTVfootage of the Armed Robbery in one of the banks, captured the image of two persons. The CCTV footage was circulated on the social media and this led to their identification as Kunle Ogunleye and Micheal Adikwu. The two persons were tracked and arrested by the Police and they made very useful statements and named the five gang leaders who organized the Armed Robbery.
4. Some of the five gang leaders made confessional statements admitting their participation in this worst Armed Robbery in the history of Nigeria and that they are political thugs under the name, Youth Liberation Movement aka ‘Good boys’ allegedly sponsored by you and that you have given them firearms, money and vehicles. It was equally discovered that one of the vehicles, a Lexus Jeep, used by the gang leader (Ayoade Akinnibosun) has a sticker plate number “‘SARAKI’ Kwara State of Harmony”.
5. The Lexus Jeep was parked in the Government House after the arrest of Ayoade Akinnibosun and in order to conceal evidence, the Chief of Staff to the Executive Governor of Kwara State, arranged for the removal of the sticker plate number “SARAKI Kwara State of Harmony” from the Lexus jeep and quickly registered it in the name of the suspect, six days after the suspecthas been arrested by the Police.
6. Specifically Mr Ayoade Akinnibosun ‘m’ 27 Years in his Confessional Statement stated that “members of his group are Political Thugs working for Senator Bukola Saraki and Governor of Kwara State”. That he is the head of the Political Thugs named Youths Liberation Movement coveringabout seven (7) Local Governments Areas of Kwara South. That he gets vehicle and monetary gifts etc from Senator Bukola Saraki through the Chief of Staff to the Governor of Kwara State; that the last money he got directly from Senator Bukola Saraki was Five Hundred Thousand (N500,000) Naira. He made mention of some other thugs in Kwara Central with guns which Senator Bukola Saraki is sponsoring as Alhaji Alawo, Alhaji Dona, Alhaji Jawando among others, that Senator Bukola Saraki supplies the arms and vehicles to the thugs; that everyone in Kwara Central fear them because of their guns and ability to kill anybody without hesitation”. Furthermore the suspect Ayoade Akinnibosun stated that the date you Senator Saraki visited Offa in sympathy with the victims to the Palace of the Oba, that he and two other gang members were with you in the convoy.
7. In your response to the above allegations, you stated “by virtue of my participation in politics, I have a large followership which makes it impossible for me to know all of them. I can say categorically that I am in no way associated with the vehicle mentioned in your letter nor have I given any arms to any thug or other persons in kwara State or anywhere else. For the records, your letter under reference did not include the full text of the statements made by the accused persons”
8. After a careful perusal of your letter to the Police, it was discovered that the statement requires further clarification and coupled with the fact that you stated that the full text of the statements of the suspects were not shown to you, it is imperative you report to the Police to make further statements after giving you the full text of the statements of the suspects.
9. It is in line with the above that you are requested to report to the head of the Investigation Team at the Intelligence Response Team at Guzape Junction, Asokoro Extension, Abuja on 24th of July, 2018 at 8am for further investigation on the matter.
10. Please as always, accept my warm regards and high esteem.
IGP IBRAHIM K. IDRIS, npm, mni
INSPECTOR-GENERAL OF POLICE
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
FHQ – ABUJA.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...