Kaduna teachers saga: NUT vows total strike November 23

El-Rufai
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai

The Kaduna State wing of the Nigerian Union of Teachers, NUT, says its members will proceed on an indefinite strike from November 23, to protest the sack of 21,780 teachers.

The state chairman of the union, Audu Amba, said this at a news conference in Kaduna on Monday.

Mr. Amba said that the union had issued a two-week ultimatum to the state government to reverse its decision to disengage 21,780 primary school teachers for failing its competency test.

He explained that the decision to embark on the strike was taken after the union’s executive council meeting, with the support of the national body of the union.

He said that if the government failed to reverse its decision, the entire public secondary and primary schools in the state would be shut down.

“We supported the competency test on the grounds that 60 per cent would be the pass mark and those that failed would be re-trained.

“The Governor (Nasir El-Rufa’i), however, pegged 75 per cent as pass mark and released the names of 21,780 that failed for disengagement.

“We wrote a letter to the governor to reconsider his decision, but he went ahead to announce the list of teachers to be disengaged.

“We have even approached the National Industrial Court to determine whether the state government had the mandate to conduct competency test for teachers,” he said.

Meanwhile, pupils of Local Government Education Authority Primary School, Kawo, Kaduna, on Monday, took to the streets to protest the disengagement of 77 teachers in the school.

The pupils said they would not return to school until the governor rescinded his decision.

A teacher, who confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria, on condition of anonymity, said that the protest began when the pupils learned that 77 teachers had been pencilled down for disengagement.

“There are 103 teachers in this school and based on the list released yesterday, only 26 teachers passed the competency test, meaning that the remaining 77 teachers would be disengaged.

“When the people heard that most of their teachers would be disengaged, they became emotional and began hugging their teachers in tears.

“Before we knew it, all the pupils came out from their classrooms and took to the streets in protest of what they described as “unfair treatment” of their teachers.

‘‘They said they would not come to school again until the government reversed its decision.”

The teacher, who said she had been teaching for 22 years, said: “I was shocked when I didn’t find my name on the list of those that passed the test.”

Also, a headmistress at a public school in Mahuta, Kaduna, said that 18 names of the 23 teachers in the school were missing in the qualified list of teachers, including her own name.

She expressed fears about the welfare of her family if she lost her job as she is the breadwinner.

NAN reports that the state’s Universal Basic Education Board, SUBEB, had on Sunday released the names of about 11,220 primary school teachers who passed the competency test.

The board chairman, Nasiru Umar, told journalists that 33,000 primary school teachers sat for the examination while 21,780 failed the test.

Mr. Umar added that those who are above five years would be retired but those below five years would be disengaged.

He said that three months’ notice would be given to those who failed the competency test for disengagement.

Nonetheless, he said that all teachers, including those who failed the test, should continue with their working pending for further directives.

The chairman said that the Kaduna State Executive Council had approved the outcome of the teachers’ competency test and had directed the immediate commencement of the process of recruiting 25,000 new primary school teachers.

“No more sharing of appointment of teachers among the officials. This time around, government is determined to employ competent teachers as part of efforts to revive education in Kaduna State.

“We have so far received over 13,000 applications at the SUBEB headquarters.

‘’Some applicants submitted their applications at the local government headquarters for the recruitment of new teachers,” Mr. Umar added.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:DIABETES Is CURABLE! Don't Let It Threaten You! To NORMALIZE Your Blood Sugar In 21Days For Life, Click Here!!!.


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • systematic

    very good I support this Move

  • systematic

    This is what we want to be hearing.Not stories

  • Igyundunase Dominic

    No! This is chaos. The government should retrain this category of teachers but certainly not a sack. Too much negative effects.

    • niran ade

      Retrain? Your brain is functioning like LgYuNdUnAsE

  • suleiman

    The governor’s brain cannot be bigger than his body frame. Small people always seek attention to make up for their deficiencies. When Kaduna was electing this governor they knew what they were electing, an arrogant brat who was nothing, seeking for jobs in worn out shoes going from office from office to office looking for small jobs until Atiku Abubakar brought him to prominence. First as BPE boss and then FCT minister. These are the two places this brat made his money after selling NITEL to his non-existent company, Pentacop! If this brat were to be probed, he will rank among the most corrupt individuals in Nigeria, yet he claims today to be fighting corruption. Have we forgotten that this brat employed his NYSC girlfriend as a director in FCT, paying her over 1 million a month? When the case was brought open, Obasanjo simply shoved it off by asking the girl to pay back over 30 million to the Federal government as salary paid to her. Within one month the lady was able to pay the money. Who could have paid that large sum? Your guess is a good as mine. This man is simply not fit for public service, a man without integrity and morals, an anarchist who cares nothing about humanity. Who in his right senses would do what this governor is doing? May be he should be subjected to some Psychiatric evaluation to see if he is sane!

    • Yego V

      You are right. Obj used him and he equally took advantage to enrich himself. He made billions selling civil servants homes in Abuja. Allocating lands to his friends and family including a 2 year old. He feel he has nothing to loose. No more children to enjoy the loot..

      • niran ade

        You people should be tied to a tree and flogged

        • Yego V

          That’s fine, as long as you’ll tie obj and el-rufai to blocks and sink them at River Niger