Two suicide bomb explosions that occurred in Maiduguri, Borno State, early Saturday, killed nine people, the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, has said.
A witness told PREMIUM TIMES earlier that six bodies were evacuated from the two locations of the attack.
But a spokesperson for NEMA, Sani Datti, said in a statement that three more people died and 25 were injured.
“Nine persons lost their lives with 24 persons injured and evacuated to various hospitals from the two scenes of explosions in Maiduguri this early morning”, said Mr. Datti.
Meanwhile, the spokesman of the Nigeria Army 7 Division, Mustapha Anka, said in a separate statement that eight people died and 11 injured.
The Army statement reads:
“At about 7.05am this morning, there were twin simultaneous suicide bomb explosions at the entrance of Bakassi Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp and NNPC Mega Filling Station, Damboa Road, Maiduguri.
“At the Bakassi IDPs camp, a suspected female suicide bomber ran into group of men and women at the entrance while they were coming out of the camp, killing 5 men and injured 11 women. The bodies of dead men and the injured women have been evacuated.
“At the NNPC, a female suicide bomber followed a fuel tanker in Keke NAPEP tricycle with the sole aim of gaining entry to cause maximum damage and casualty but was prevented from gaining access to the station by another vehicle. In that process, the suicide bomber exploded killing the 3 occupants of the tricycle. No reported injured persons at this instance.
“Troops and security agencies have been mobilized and the injured have been evacuated while efforts are ongoing to comb the general area as well as entries and exits of Maiduguri.
“While we commiserate with the families of the late victims of this cruel act and wish those injured speedy recovery, we would like to assure the public that efforts are o going to track those behind the dastardly acts. However, it is equally important to reiterate the need for more vigilance and security consciousness among all. Citizens are enjoined to report any suspicious persons or movements to the security agencies”.
Maiduguri has not witnessed bomb attacks for months. The twin blasts have created panic amongst residents who had started to let go of their fears of terrorist attacks, a PREMIUM TIMES correspondent in the city said.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...